3.07.2005

Too Good for Television

I realized as I was sitting down to write this that I'd written about Firefly before. Nevertheless, upon watching the series again this weekend on DVD, including three unaired episodes, it bears more commenting.

This show was too good for television. The network didn't get it, complained about a concept they approved, and ultimately did more damage by airing the show out of order and on Friday nights. The unaired episodes are every bit as good if not better than the ones that aired, and fill in a few key blanks. The character interaction I would say was on a par with Lost, and there was a LOT we still didn't know about many of the character's backgrounds. What WAS that kit Inara had when the Reavers were approaching? If Book wasn't a Preacher, then what was his secret? Would Kaylee and Simon ever hook up? Would Jayne ever really betray them? Would Mal and Inara finally get past their differences and reveal their feelings? Would we see Mal do more badass captain things like kick guys into engines, threaten to let a traitor be sucked out an airlock, shoot a hostage-holder in the face, or poke a foe with a sword after he was down? And is it true that “no power in the ‘verse” can stop River? Still get chills when she shoots those three guys and stands there with her hair in her face. The show really had some remarkable camera angles and Whedon's love of comic books showed.

Great cast, great script, great characters, great scientific accuracy. Enterprise lasts four years while something like this is cut down in its prime. I am REALLY looking forward to the movie on September 30th. Speaking of Enterprise, I read a really crazy rumor earlier today. I don't know if it's true but if it is, that link contains a MAJOR SPOILER about the series finale, so don't click if you'd rather be surprised. As for me, I'll be watching more of the commentaries on the Firefly DVD, and hoping that film will launch a new franchise.

5 Comments:

Blogger avRAGEjoe said...

I agree with you 100% about Firefly and was really mad when it got cancelled. I can't wait for the movie.

Also, got a review up of the first episode of the new Doctor Who if you care to read. I'm still working on getting up publicity to your site and I apologize for the delay.

I invite you to do a guest post at my blog. I think the best way would be for you to email it to me and i will post it when I get it from you. Also, I'm working on a guest blog for your site. It's about Aquaman and the number 13. I hope to finish it by the end of the week and I'll send it to you then for your consideration.

Thanks!
Joe

3/08/2005 10:29 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Man, that's it. I've heard so many good things about Firefly. I'm finally going to rent it on DVD to see what all the fuss is about.

3/08/2005 10:33 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Man, that's it. I've heard so many good things about Firefly. I'm finally going to rent it on DVD to see what all the fuss is about.

3/08/2005 10:34 AM  
Blogger MCF said...

sounds like a plan! i'll email you something, but probably not before saturday or sunday the way my week is going.

3/08/2005 7:02 PM  
Blogger avRAGEjoe said...

MCF - Well, I have it finished! Where shall I email it?

3/08/2005 9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home