3.01.2005

Wish I Had One

A few days ago at JimTreacher.com I noticed a link to something called ”House of Cosbys”, an odd cartoon featuring Jeff Davis(Whose Line, Happy Family) as the voice of a man who's made multiple clones of the sitcom icon. It was very odd, bizarre, and funny, and part of some site called Channel 101, a haven for things too weird and low budget to ever make it on to ACTUAL television, and an outlet for creative expressions.

Going through the site I found myself watching all eight episodes of a low-budget sci-fi masterpiece called Time Belt. Don't let the fact that the title object is made out of tinfoil and construction paper deter you. I was drawn in, and when the tale was done realized if this were a weekly SF series with a budget I would have been hooked. It tells the story of a scientist named Dr. Bloom who, after tragedy strikes close to home, makes his theory a reality and invents a belt that allows him to travel through time and hopefully change his past. As is a staple of all time travel epics, there's a Malfunction Which Sends Him Elsewhen and each episode finds him jumping to a new time and crisis in an effort to get where he's going. I found it to be very Quantum Leap-esque, and it even featured some familiar name celebrities like Paget Brewster and Jack Black, the latter appearing in a crossover episode with his own bizarre Computerman series. Time Belt tells a great story from beginning to emotional end, and I was surprised how hooked I was on these shorts. I went on to watch an amusing mockumentary of the show as well as an interesting(disturbing?) take on the Dark Knight by the creator/star of Time Belt. Some of these vids are a few years old so some people may have come across them already, but after a marathon viewing I felt like blogging about it.

I wish I had a Time Belt. It'd be great to go back and do things differently, to avoid mistakes knowing what I know now. I could even be many places at once and make my deadlines AND have a life AND blog regularly. I've managed not to miss a day yet since I began on 10.13.04. I generally post by or before midnight each day, although there was that one bad night where family and the loss of a loved one of course took precedence. For anyone wondering, I did have a post yesterday but it was at the beginning of the day rather than the end, to coincide with the Oscar Blog Party. My Oscar post was Monday's entry, and Sunday's was the weekly Phantasmic Links feature. Jerry expressed some surprise this morning that I hadn't posted at all yesterday, and I wondered if any other readers were under the same impression. It's not exactly a situation worthy of using a Time Belt to delay yesterday's post until the evening, but with nothing new to read this morning, I could see the question being raised by others.

That's it for this evening. Tune in late tomorrow night or early Thursday for my next entry. If I had a Time Belt I'd be there already but instead, I have to go to bed and go to work tomorrow. At least I won't have to shovel for an hour-and-a-half to get there in time for a delayed opening of 10AM like I did this morning. Sometimes life is snow fair...

And now, to duck the inevitable barrage of anti-pun snowballs....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home