12.05.2008

Dreamcasting Come True

I'm probably going to wait for the DVD of Punisher: War Zone. I've never been a big fan of the character, more of a vigilante than a hero, and his previous big screen outings have left me gun shy. But I have to admit, from what I've read and from the trailers I've seen, this looks like the most faithful adaptation yet, getting a lot right including casting a lead actor that isn't a blonde guy that has to dye his hair for the role. Hollywood has gotten a lot better at casting films adapted from comic books, cartoons, and other geek source material, and the Heath Ledgers, Robert Downey Jrs, and Hugh Jackmans of the world definitely outshine the Thomas Janes or Halle Berrys.

I've played the Dreamcasting game in the past, throwing out the ideal names(in my eyes) to play the characters I grew up with. I haven't made an accurate prediction yet. Still, it's a fun exercise, and maybe I should focus on more obscure things that will never actually make it to Hollywood. Smurfs is coming to the big screen in 2010 though, so who am I to speculate on what cartoons will never become movies? Let’s see which show I chose for this exercise:

* * * * *


Bionic Six

They were the ultimate family. Two parents and four children, all part machine with different special abilities. If this ever became a live action movie, my dream cast would be:

Greg Kinnear as Jack Bennett, a.k.a Bionic-1, patriarch of the clan.
Julianne Moore as Helen, Mother-1.
Ryan Kwanten as Eric, the athletic son Sport-1.
Brea Grant as the daughter Meg, or Rock-1.
Brandon T. Jackson as J.D., an adopted son with the codename I.Q.
Ernie Reyes, Jr. would be the dream choice for the youngest adopted son Bunji, provided we could travel back in time and get him when he was younger to portray Karate-1. I must be out of touch with younger actors, as every name I thought of was too old for the role. I'm sure CGI might solve the time travel problem as well.
Bruce Davison is my pick for Professor Amadeus Sharp, who invented the technology that saved the family and gave them their abilities.

And, since every hero needs villains:

John Rhys-Davies would play Scarab, Sharp's evil older brother and main antagonist.
Ben Foster could pull off the maniacal and traitorous Glove, Scarab's right-hand man.
Chyler Leigh is my choice for femme fatale Madame-O.
Tim Allen would be an edgier and more dramatic menace with tools as Mechanic.
Johnny Knoxville would play Chopper, because it wouldn't require a lot of action chops to whirl a chain and be insane.
Doug Jones, through a combination of practical and computer effects, would play the shambling mass Klunk.

* * * * *


Agree? Disagree? Any thoughts on which show(s) I should tackle the next time I do one of these? I'm leaning toward InHumanoids or Silverhawks....

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home