7.28.2008

Phantasmic Links 7.28.08

My dad, nearing 80, seems to suddenly have game. We get to New Jersey on Saturday for a feast, and as we're walking from the train station I hear a young female voice ask, “Where's the party?” I turn and two beautiful young ladies are talking to the old man. I, still a good fifty years from anything remotely resembling game, reply with the name of the church we're going to. “Oh...well, have a good day.” she replied. As we continued on our way, I realized I should have answered her with something like, “Wherever you are, baby,” but then I never could think on my feet. Six hours later, as I stood on a train back to Manhattan gripping a bar, I glanced down the car and see that the old man found a seat, literally surrounded by beautiful girls. I glanced at some of the other musicians on the train who were just grinning. The little old guy just sat looking tired after a long day, oblivious to what was around him. It gives me hope for my future, but it's ironic that by the time girls notice me I might be too old to notice them. Such is my life. In other news, here are this week's PHANTASMIC LINKS :

(1) Click Myclofigia and get our city to #1!

(2) Don't forget, there's an all-new M.C.F.A.T. this week!

(3) What if there were no stop signs and a major corporation was tasked with creating one? No matter where I've worked, this is a frightfully accurate depiction of what designers face each day.
Hat Tip: Rey.

(4) TRON is BACK.

(5) Vultures are the last thing you'd want to see perched outside the window of your hospital room...

(6) The 40 worst Rob Liefeld drawings gather in one place. Not in attendance: Economy of line, proportionate anatomy, and feet.

(7) A guitar player proves that no hands is no problem.

(8) Can anyone save George Lucas from his Carbonite prison? Should they?
H.T.: Rey.

(9) Brothers from the same mother show that we can indeed all just get along.
H.T.: B13.

(10) The Periodic Table, broken down by videos. I think I need to adopt a British accent to sound smarter.

(11) Here's a handy history of Game Consoles. There are actually some on that list I've neither seen nor heard of before.
H.T. Darrell.

(12) Which beauties from today might become the Golden Girls of 2048?

(13) Check out some truly awesome images of Jupiter.

(14) Sad but timely: 10 Actors and Actresses Who Didn't Live to See Their Final Movie.

(15) Finally, work in three dimensions to tilt and Spin your block to the exit.


Have a link to a game, movie, article, or anything else you think might be “phantasmic”? E-mail me and it just might appear in an upcoming PHANTASMIC LINKS!

7 Comments:

Blogger b13 said...

Great links this week... but all I can think about now is:
TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N-TR2N...

7/28/2008 12:45 AM  
Blogger Curt said...

Holy cow! No. 14 is so NSFW. A little warning next time, huh?

7/28/2008 4:31 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

I was going to dispute that or treat this as if you were kidding, but since you're Curt I checked the site again; didn't notice the sidebar ads, sorry. Curt's right folks; somewhat NSFW images on that page.

7/28/2008 8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liefeld #18 - I had to suppress my laughter so I wouldn't wake the baby and ended up popping an eyeball out of my skull.

7/28/2008 9:58 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

I was geeking out big time with that whole Liefeld article, especially the stuff I remembered from the '90s like the Cable/Domino bathtub panel, Spidey with no webbing on his costume, and that ridiculous Chapel page from Youngblood. That combined with some of the commentary had me sitting here snickering, feeling like a HUGE NERD, then losing it all over again. And yeah, I couldn't believe that Thing/Torch panel was real.

7/28/2008 10:26 PM  
Blogger Darrell said...

While we're at it, the Liefeld stuff is NSFW, too. ;)

You know, I never made the connection to one specific guy until now, but Liefeld seems to be responsible for nearly everything I've ever disliked about comics. There are 8th graders who're able to do better work than that.

By the way, I've never seen Tron.

7/29/2008 12:47 AM  
Blogger MCF said...

What? How do you call yourself a film geek? You need to see Tron, and judge it according to early '80s standards. It was a phenomenon growing up. I played the games in the arcade, and had a few cool ones on my Intellivision. It might be one of those things that has more nostalgia value that you needed to see when you were younger, but there's only one way to be sure.

Liefeld really does sum up everything wrong about the '90s era of comics. I remember I liked him when he first came on the scene and redesigned the New Mutants costumes and created Cable. But the whole giant gun overkill is really a bad thing from that era, not to mention the fact that all his costume designs bear a vague resemblance to triathlon spandex.

Funny comment about those being NSFW; the language in the article certainly isn't safe, but most of the artwork comes from stuff I was reading in high school and college. Except for that FF panel Jerry gravitated towards; that's totally NSFW. ;)

7/29/2008 1:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home