7.16.2008

PBW: Pio



Over the weekend, I took a mini vacation of sorts and visited the National Centre for Padre Pio, in Barto, PA. After stopping for mass at a local church(steeple shown above), our buses took our group on to the main attraction. Here's what I brought back for this week's Photo Blog Wednesday:






I think this statue set against the brick wall makes for a pretty cool desktop image:





A set of stained glass windows chronicled the Padre's life:







We'll see who's as big a geek as I am and thinks the same thing I did with that last window.






The main chapel had this really cool miniature display in the corner that seemed to have every nativity action figure ever:






Click those last two miniature images to maximize the detail to dynamic desktop proportions. I moved on to the museum to see paintings, statues, inexplicable hanging fish, a replica of the Padre's birthplace, and a recreation of his car.







And such a day wouldn't be complete without great food, wine, and some old Italian guy with an accordion:

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Darrell said...

OK, regarding the last photo of a stained glass window ... were you thinking Padre Jawa?

7/16/2008 1:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Why oh why don't you have a girlfriend to take on these mini vacations! Do me a favor, please. When you go on these things call up Trudy. Please.

7/16/2008 10:36 AM  
Blogger b13 said...

My mother has done this outing and I would have taken the ride with you... although I won't put out.

7/16/2008 12:23 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

To be honest Rey, I couldn't really bring a date because I was also working with the band(hence the "of sorts"). Although my dad did get our band leader to pull some strings and get an extra seat on the bus for my mom, so he kind of brought a date. Most of my photos were taken between songs or on the one 20 minute break we got during the three hours we were there. I probably could have gotton some good city shots but I had a cracked window both times and pretty much slept as much as possible to make each 3.5 hour journey pass quicker.

Darrell, you're definitely on the same wavelength as me and got the movie right, although I looked at the artwork and thought "Help me Padre Pio; you're my only hope!"

It's not sacrilegious if you're joking about an artist's rendering and not the subject matter, right? I've already racked up enough Hell-points in my life...

7/16/2008 5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

who's Trudy?

7/16/2008 9:47 PM  
Blogger b13 said...

^^^ I was thinking the same thing... but didn't want to ask...

7/17/2008 12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home