7.13.2008

Proust Questionaire

I saw this Proust questionnaire over at Sean's, and decided to take a crack at it:

1) What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
Loneliness.

2) Where would you like to live?
I'd like to live somewhere on Long Island not far from the shore and major train lines and highways, far enough from my parents to have a nice buffer zone but close enough to get there in time should they need me(or more likely vice versa). I'd like a brick house with stained wood doors and big stone steps, a stonework driveway and a black gate, with a topiary and other interesting landscaping. Basically, I'd love one of those houses that mafia guys probably live in.

3) What is your idea of earthly happiness?
I was never more content than when I was curled up on a couch with a pretty girl watching a movie.

4) To which faults do you feel most indulgent?
I'm lazy, I resist change even when I'm unhappy, and worst of all I have a short fuse. On Saturday while rushing to get to a parade, I blew up at my dad because he kept grumbling that I had on argyle socks instead of black socks. He'd seen the argyle ones earlier which I'd brought up and put on the table after doing some laundry, and assumed I was wearing them to the parade. I have to work on my patience, especially since my dad can't hear and sometimes misses explanations. The third or fourth time I explain myself, I sometimes lose it and just yell. I have to remember it's not his fault.

5) Who is/are your favorite hero/heroes of fiction?
To name but a few: Spider-Man, Optimus Prime, Samwise Gamgee, Indiana Jones, Batman, Wonder Man, Quasar, Aslan, Snake-Eyes, Daniel Jackson, Peter Petrelli, Hiro Nakamura, Raphael, Rattrap, Jack Bauer and many, many more.

6) Who are your favorite characters in history?
This is an odd phrasing with the use of the word “characters” when I assume it means real people. I guess my list would include God, Lincoln, Ben Franklin, Michael Jordan, Eddie Vedder, Todd McFarlane and Arnold Schwarzenegger, again naming but a few.

7) Who are your favorite heroines in real life?
I'm going to steal Sean's answer and say my mom as well. Anyone who can raise the most annoying kid on the planet, occasionally annoying him in the process, is a heroine. If there was a real-life hero question on here, I'd of course list my dad.

8) Who is/are your favorite heroines of fiction?
To name but a few: Supergirl, Claire Bennet, Jean Grey, Rogue, Buffy, Winifred Burkle, Sydney Bristow, River Tam, Trinity and many, many more.

9) Your favorite painters?
Dali, Kandinsky, Da Vinci, Caravaggio, Rockwell and Alex Ross.

10) Your favorite composers or musicians?
A partial list of highlights: Pearl Jam, Vivaldi, Sousa, U2, Ralph Vaughan Williams.

11) What qualities do you most value in a man?
Honesty, humor, courage.

12) What qualities do you most value in a woman?
Honesty, humor, tolerance, eyes, lips.

13) Your favorite virtue?
Patience.

14) Your favorite occupation?
Art directing of course. Either that or the cameraman for Girls Gone Wild, but I'm sure that's not that much more fun than my job.

15) Who would you like to be?
Better.

16) Your most marked characteristic?
From big ears to a scar on my lip to just the sheer roundness and size of it, I'm man enough to admit my head stands out.

17) What do you most value in your friends?
Shared interests and sense of humor.

18) What is your principle defect?
Inadequacy and low self esteem.

19) What is your favorite color?
Red.

20) What is your favorite flower?
Tulips I guess, or Daisies.

21) What is your favorite bird?
The The Cardinal.

22) Who are your favorite prose writers?
Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Peter F. Hamilton, Peter David, J.K. Rowling, Stephen King, Chris Claremont, Michael Crichton.

23) Who are your favorite poets?
Shakespeare, Poe, Frost.

24) What are your favorite names?
I've never heard one better than “Wayvid”.
(Blame the genius of Darrell.)

25) What is it you most dislike?
Deception and mockery.

26) What historical figures do you most despise?
Hitler, bin Laden, Hussein, and Hillary. You know, somewhere in there I bet there's a good joke that starts with those four walking in to a bar...

27) What event in military history do you most admire?
Thermopylae.

28) What reform do you most admire?
I liked when FOX put Family Guy back on the air a few years after canceling it.

29) What natural gift would you most like to possess?
Charm, the ability to manipulate people through words.

30) How would you like to die?
I wouldn't, but I suppose if it can't be avoided, let me go to sleep, dream a nice dream, and never wake up. Let it be 70 years from now, and let me go before my friends and family.

31) What is your present state of mind?
Tired and Bored.

32) What is your motto?
“I Don't Die; I Just Suffer.” or “Of Course.™”

3 Comments:

Blogger b13 said...

I think your answer to 15 is more for "What" not "who"...

But what a great series of Q&As.

7/13/2008 12:37 AM  
Blogger Darrell said...

I might do this questionnaire, too. It's funny how much we get to "know" each other by reading blogs. I was able to correctly predict how you'd answer a few of these questions before I read your answers!

And thanks for your recent kind words/links.

7/13/2008 9:27 PM  
Blogger kevbayer said...

Interesting questionairre. I'll have to give it a go.

And why no link for God? Doesn't he have a website or Wiki entry? Everyone else does! (I read a book called "God's blog" - it was blogs written by God in book form. Pretty good read!)

7/15/2008 9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home