2.17.2008

That Karaoke Wishlist

As I mentioned the other day, I've been thinking a lot lately about what songs I might like to attempt at an upcoming Karaoke party. I mentioned that Bon Jovi's Living on a Prayer was a great choice to get a room motivated and energized, which prompted a long e-mail from my friend Curt. Here's a brief excerpt:

”Um... Livin' on a Prayer? You might try it in the car, but you don't sing well enough to do that in public. I've never heard you sing, but... I promise you, you can't sing Living on a Prayer no matter how drunk you get. Seriously.”

Had I been alone on Saturday, I might have recorded myself to confirm or dispute his position. The truth is, whether or not you're a decent singer, if you pick that song at the right time, preferably after people have had enough drinks to loosen up but before they've had enough to pass out, you will have people joining in. It's just one of those all time great party songs and everyone knows the words. I'm not remotely a good singer, but then that's not a requirement of Karaoke. I do think it's important though that, since we're only going to have the room for a few hours and others will want to sing, I go in with an idea of what I'm going to do. So I'm just going to make a wishlist. When the time comes, I'll probably only have time for four or five of these, and I might even find something that isn't on the list. Some of these are songs I can sing, others are ones I wish I could sing, and others would be great at a party, especially if someone else is singing. Some I've done before with various degrees of success, while others would definitely be uncharted territory. Ultimately, this is just a bunch of songs I like, and I'll let you know in a few weeks which wishes came true.

1) Live: Dolphin's Cry

2) The Proclaimers: I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)

3) Bon Jovi: Living on a Prayer (Sorry Curt)

4) Nirvana: Smells Like Teen Spirit

5) Linkin Park: Shadow of the Day

6) Bush: Glycerine

7) Midnight Oil: Beds are Burning (Thanks for the suggestion, B13)

8) Skid Row: 18 and Life

9) Bryan Adams: Summer of ‘69

10) Temple of the Dog: Hungerstrike

11) Guns n' Roses: You Could Be Mine

12) Muse: Starlight

13) Green Day: Boulevard of Broken Dreams

14) The Beastie Boys: Fight For Your Right

15) Weezer: Buddy Holly

16) Bob Seger: Turn the Page

17) Cypress Hill: Insane in the Brain

18) House of Pain: Jump Around

19) Night Ranger: Sister Christian

20) Journey: Don't Stop Believing

21) Rolling Stones: Paint It Black

22) Bon Jovi: Wanted Dead or Alive

23) Erasure: A Little Respect (Blame Scrubs)

24) Bush: Comedown

25) Pearl Jam: Even Flow

26) AC/DC: You Shook Me All Night Long (An octave lower, of course)

27) Metallica: Wherever I May Roam

28) U2: With or Without You

29) Finger Eleven: Paralyzer

30) Jimmy Eat World: The Middle

31) The Smashing Pumpkins: Bullet With Butterfly Wings

32) Guns N' Roses: Sweet Child O Mine

33) Tom Petty: Free Fallin'

I can think of a lot more, but since I already have more than 20 choices too many, I'll stop at one for every year I've been alive. Let the additions, subtractions, and disagreements commence!

3 Comments:

Blogger Rhodester said...

Feel free to sing ANY of those, as long as you don't have a problem with Bon Jovi or Bono doing illustrations for your upcoming catalog.

2/17/2008 4:21 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

will you give us a podcast of the party in question---or at least your part of it? If so, do the Nirvana song à la Tori Amos....

2/18/2008 1:35 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

Actually, I was considering Hurt á la Johnny Cash, but I'll see what I can do á la Amos.

2/18/2008 2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home