7.29.2007

The Heat is On

I react the same to extreme temperatures. When it's too cold, I just want to curl up and hibernate. When it gets too hot for me, I find myself equally lazy, often dozing in front of a fan or near an open window. I don't think Saturday was all that hot, but it felt warm enough. I lazed about for most of the day, watching Miami Vice, which had some of the most realistic shootouts I've ever seen in an action movie, and Who Wants to be a Superhero?, whose second season premiere didn't entice me as much as the first season’s. Perhaps it's because I know what to expect, or perhaps no one really stands out yet in this second group. The Defuser has the most commanding presence, Basura is a hot chick in recycled threads, and Mindset is the most geek-friendly. The rest are either obnoxious or forgettable, but I guess I'll see how my opinion changes as the season progresses.

At least one prayer was answered this week. For months, our church has been without air conditioning. Some days have been worse than others, and the oscillating fans up on the altar just didn't reach all the pews. As I drove my mom to mass on Saturday night, I hoped the AC had finally been fixed. Closed doors were a good sign, and indeed cooler temperatures prevailed within. And, as clouds gathered and the sun set, going back outside wasn't as bad as I expected it to be.

I got an interesting surprise on my chicken sandwich at Burger King. I bit into it at dinner, expecting the usual blend of chicken, mayonnaise, lettuce, and bread, and was greeted with two new flavors: bacon and cheese. That's a hot combination. I don't know if it's something new, or if the new cashier misunderstood our order. After dinner, sorting laundry gave me the opportunity to cool off in the basement. Then I settled in once more to watch DVDs and surf the web. I came across some interesting comic-related things, like the first model armor from the Iron Man movie. It looks like a faithful rendition of the original armor from the comics, and I can't wait to see it in action along with the modern red-and-gold suit. Angel will continue as an in-canon comic book series. I still wish that show had gotten a real sixth season. Perhaps the coolest thing I came across was a teaser trailer for The Dark Knight and a new shot of Heath Ledger's Joker that has me ready to run to the rescue of Maggie Gyllenhaal. Almost. It's too hot for me to want to be a superhero.

That's all for now. Go see The Simpsons Movie if you're looking for a cool, dark place and the funniest movie of the year. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time at anything, especially the regular series. They got the best writers and best animators, and even driving home from the theater Friday night I was cracking up thinking about some of the best lines. “Life well spent!”

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely plan on seeing the Simpson movie soon, everyone who's seen it has been raving about it.

As far as bacon and cheese go, there are few things it can't help make taste better. I think the cashier messed up your order and gave you the sandwich that they have out now.

7/29/2007 4:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Did you see the Iron Man teaser?

7/29/2007 10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home