6.27.2007

PBW: A Beautiful Day

It's been a while since a healthy trek was the source of a Photo Blog Wednesday. On Sunday morning, I awoke with ”It's a Beautiful Day” on the brain. I went to church, and afterwards consulted Google™ Maps in search of large green areas I'd yet to explore. And so, I discovered the Norman J. Levy Park and Preserve. Once a landfill, one I'd driven past many times on a nearby parkway, it has since become a manmade park boasting one of the highest points on Long Island, and some amazing views.

When I arrived, I was greeted by what I thought were mutant fowl. They had horns and sort of looked like turkeys. I wonder what was under the soil, if a park over a landfill was the safest place to visit. Later research would reveal them to be Guinea Fowl, brought there to keep the tick population down. I journeyed up to the summit, where a windmill spun while birds and fish hung out in a nearby pond. Then I headed down to the other side where I ventured on to a large pier. I must have looked apprehensive of the height of the pier and depth of the water below. An old man with a camera of his own passed by and cheerfully advised me, “Smile! It's a beautiful day!” It was kind of weird that he quoted the song I was thinking about when I woke up that day. I later got a picture of him just to make sure it wasn't a messenger of God or Bobby McFerrin spreading good cheer.

It was odd to find such beauty near a recycling center and parkway and over buried garbage. Still, I got some great pictures and even greater exercise. It was a beautiful day.
























































Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger b13 said...

MCF, you are one "Foul" Guinea :P JKG

Great shots. I love the birds (large and small) as well as the park and wood walk views. You'll have to let me know how to get there.

Were those mushrooms real or a sculpture?

6/27/2007 12:49 AM  
Blogger b13 said...

Never mind... got the directions from the park link ;)

6/27/2007 12:50 AM  
Blogger Janet said...

I love the red and white mushrooms. Reminds me of the edible ones from Willy Wonka:)

6/27/2007 11:03 PM  
Blogger carmilevy said...

I love your pictures. Came by from b13's place. This entry resonates with me for two reasons beyond the pure artistry of your work:

I spent a lot of time on LI as a kid - and I've been to the Jones Beach Theater on many occasions. Amazing place!

Considering my name, this preserve looks like a place I need to visit :)

In my photographic life, I've learned to appreciate how beauty presents itself in the most amazing and unexpected places.

7/01/2007 10:58 PM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

I enjoyed looking at all your pictures! I will visit again.

Came here by way of b13, BTW!

7/02/2007 7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home