4.25.2007

PBW: Stand by MCF

In Stand By Me, an old favorite of mine, a group of friends follow some train tracks into the woods where they discover a dead body, and adventure evading Jack Bauer. Wandering into the woods, especially near train tracks, often reminds me of that classic.

On Sunday, I traveled with B13 once more to a canine agility trial. Last year, my first experience with this sport found us enduring freezing temperatures and strong winds. This year it was 80 degrees with a clear blue sky. The conditions were perfect, though I'd later realize they were perfect for getting a sunburn without any shade.

I got a lot of amazing action shots for Photo Blog Wednesday, but we won't get to those until next week. There were a few hours to kill before it was B13's wife's turn to run their dog, so we decided to follow nearby train tracks along a field, and see what we could see.







At the edge of the cornfield, a dirt road continued into a wooded area that was a dumping ground for all sorts of things, from tires to electronics to vehicles. We continued undeterred, hoping we were still in Stand by Me and hadn't wandered into Deliverance. We didn't notice the spent shotgun shells carpeting the woods right away...








Oh, yes. Those are bullet holes in that rusted heap.






Around the time I saw the “UNDEAD” tire, I started thinking that maybe a couple of wannabe Sopranos wouldn't be a match for whatever hung out in those woods. And of course, it was on the way out that I noticed the downed no-trespassing sign in the grass. We stuck with the field, and soon found a tunnel that ran under the L.I.E.




For some reason, after finding a pile of bones picked clean by the entrance of the tunnel, I decided it would be a good idea to head on through.








On the other side, B13 found the hollowed out remains of a deer in several pieces, scattered around. We headed back through the tunnel, pausing to capture some graffiti we noticed.



In the distance, I heard a loudspeaker, and we could finally see the tents again where the dog show was being held. On our way back though, we stumbled upon a farm bursting with live animals, and finally left Stand By Me behind. The following images more than made up for the horrific deer remains:

















That's all for this week! Tune in next week for the conclusion of our adventure, and enjoy the sneak preview below:

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Darrell said...

I feel the sudden urge (in spite of the deer remains) to go to a petting zoo.

4/25/2007 2:44 PM  
Blogger b13 said...

One of the bad things about outings with MCF is the fact that we get some of the EXACT SAME SHOTS!!!

Over the next few weeks you'll be saying "I've seen that before." Tonight you'll say it for sure...but I swear I am NOT stealing his photos for my own use.

Next time, I shoot right and you shoot left :/

4/25/2007 3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home