12.20.2006

PBW: Art Hike

About eight years ago, I took my girlfriend at the time to the Nassau County Museum of Art to see an exhibit on Surrealism, arguably my favorite form of fine art. These were the days before the internet, at least before I had internet access, when I had to look through the newspaper to see what was going on and figure out something to do on a date. I remember it was raining when we finished our tour, and I had her wait while I ran for the car. After I picked her up, she said one of the older museum guards told her I was a “keeper” for that simple act of common etiquette. I probably could have used that guy's help making my case when she was breaking up with me a few years later, but hindsight's generally good for little more than agita.

After getting most of my shopping done on Friday, and getting fresh air while raking up leaves in my dad's lot on Saturday, I was looking to take a little time for myself on Sunday. Surfing the web for interesting sights on Long Island, I came across the museum, and remembered the various sculptures on the grounds, the ones I'd only seen in passing because of the rain on my prior visit. I thought it might make a good Photo Blog Wednesday, and so my trusty camera and I were soon on our way, while the weather remained unseasonably warm and the sun peeked out from behind clouds. As it turns out, the grounds were actually huge, with eight different hiking trails, a lake, a ravine, a sculpted garden, and more. It took a few hours, and I had to rely on my zoom lens for areas of the lawn riddled with goose droppings, but by the time the sun was almost setting, I think I had a nice set of images. Hopefully, you'll agree:


































Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

Great pictures. I love the one with all the shrubbery.

12/20/2006 7:03 AM  
Blogger b13 said...

Nice shots MCF! I like the woodpecker and the boarded up house especially.

12/20/2006 11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home