7.19.2006

PBW: Pilgrimage, Part II

And now, I present the exciting conclusion to last week's Photo Blog Wednesday:




I bet that guard wasn't expecting to see this...





...but I question the authenticity of a tomb with a visible electric outlet.





Yes I am egotistical enough to pause for a shadowy self-portrait while walking through a giant rosary made of hedges; why do you ask?



The rosary trail would have led me back around to the entrance, so I stepped out by the chapel at the far end for some shots of the nearby structures, sculptures and landscape.





Behind the indoor chapel I found one last trail leading to an outdoor chapel where the largest statue overlooked miles out to the water








It was time to make the long trek back to my car, and still more breathtaking statues and colorful flowers awaited me along the way.






I got so close with my camera, I swear I heard the ants chanting, “It's a miracle!” I have no idea where the candy came from; it definitely didn't come from me.

Finally, just before I reached my car, I noticed this replica of Michelangelo's Pietá. My mom saw the real thing years ago at the 1964 World's Fair. Since it probably won't be coming to America again any time soon, and it's doubtful that I'll ever make it to Rome, it was pretty cool to see the one on Long Island.





That concludes my experience. Thanks for hanging in there with me on my pilgrimage! And if these posts scared anyone off, let them know it's safe to come back...for now...

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Janet said...

A self portrait of your shadow?

Just take the real photo.

You know you want to.:)

7/19/2006 9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second Janet's emotion, and I have to tell you, I far preferred the "white" statues to the coloured ones.

Lorna, for some reason restricted to anonymous today

7/19/2006 12:47 PM  
Blogger Darrell said...

Very, very nice. Thanks for sharing your pilgrimage with us, I really enjoyed the statues and the art. Of course, posting a picture of your shadow is like rubbing all of our noses in it... but we've come to expect that. ;)

My word verification word this time has the potential to be the most offensive word verification ever if you'd pronounce it the same way I would... in fact, it has such potential to offend, I'm reluctant to type it and share it... but you can click here and see a screen grab of it... and if you're offended by it, it's your own fault.

7/19/2006 3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home