7.17.2006

Phantasmic Links 7.17.06

My apologies for yesterday's whining. Today was a great day playing music, walking through the streets of Brooklyn and soaking up the sun, fresh air, and local color. We played a segment in the morning from 8-10:30 and had a break on which my dad and I were able to attend the local mass. At 11:30 we were joined by a second band which I later learned had been the one which took a lot of our band's old jobs. When I heard them, I understood why. They had twice as many players, and sounded like twice their number, crisp like a college football marching band. At one point near the end of that three-hour procession, when we were supposed to merge and play together, they didn't mingle and took a position behind us, playing fancy drum cadences. When they stopped our drummer would start, and vice versa. I stepped back and said to him, “This is kind of like Drumline, eh?” We finished playing around 2:30 and didn't have to return until 8PM, so we returned home for a few hours where I rested and surfed the web, but mostly rested. Driving back was a problem as the setting sun blinded everyone and caused major delays. Despite this, we were only 10 minutes late and the society was very happy with the sit-down concert our group provided, a melodic Summer night on the streets of Brooklyn. The younger guys they hired for the afternoon procession may have been hotshots, clearly dueling with us, but our band leader is from that neighborhood and has a history with the society going back a few generations. At the end, everyone thanked us and said they'd see us again next year. All in all, this weekend probably would make good material for a “what Summer means to me” essay. Hard to believe that I have to go sit in an office again in nine hours. But that's enough about my boring life; on to this week's PHANTASMIC LINKS:

When Superman Returns in German with English subtitles, super hilarity ensues. Hat tip to Lyndon.

Nike and Apple merge the sneaker with the Ipod. It's just what I'd need: Stephen Hawking calling me a fat b@st@rd. I'd give the hat tip to the mutual friend who clued us in to this, but since he doesn't have a blog, it looks like Rey nabbed this one.

I can tip my hat to Rey clearly though for this list of the Worst Company URLs. I would love to have been a fly on the wall at the moment these people realized their horrible, horrible mistake.

Can you click your way through a beautiful space environment and navigate Wogger? Some of those pixels are tricky; leave a comment if you get stuck.

I don't think I've traumatized people in a while. Perhaps the P-Links are losing their edge? To make up for it, I dare you to click this documentation of a large cyst removal from a man's eyelid.

On the other hand, here's some technological afflictions I wouldn't mind having.

This is the artwork of Keith Haring.

Do you have what it takes to ”combat biruses?” Wait for it...

I don't know if you care or are aware, but Supergreg is back, and this time...he's interactive.

Well if robots like it, then I want one!

Finally, bask in the revelation of Star Wars® on Earth.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Kristine said...

Just a little tweaking, and the "biruses" guy would sound like Khan selling you evil software.

The Superman thing made my day, but I didn't have the nerve to click on the cyst link. It's really hot today, and i'm a little queasy already.

7/18/2006 1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home