6.06.2006

Thundercast

With live-action movies based on ‘80s cartoons on the horizon such as Transformers and He-man, I thought it would be fun to speculate the cast of another series I've been revisiting on DVD lately: Thundercats. It's always interesting when a film is finally made and the ideal actor portrays our favorite characters. I believe Wizard posited Patrick Stewart for the role of Professor X years before the first X-men movie was made. Earlier today I was discussing possible stars for a live action version of another cartoon with my friend Rey, but I won't mention which show on the off chance he's planning to write about it on his own blog. I am stealing that concept today though, in honor of Darrell's brilliant Copyright Violation Week. I had considered stealing CVW itself and following every post Darrell stole with the same topic here, but then I watched a marathon of Thundercats episodes tonight and so, here we are:

Lion-O: Ryan Reynolds
While a few years ago he might have been an odd choice, I think Blade: Trinity proved he could balance an action role like this with just the right amount of humor for the part.

Cheetara: Rachel Nichols
With The Inside canceled and Alias concluded, this attractive and athletic blonde needs a new vehicle for her talents, and the staff-wielding speedy feline leading lady role would be perfect for her.

Panthro: Carl Lumbly
Another Alias alumni, he's no stranger to playing a hero, having portrayed M.A.N.T.I.S. and provided the voice for Martian Manhunter on Justice League and Justice League Unlimited. He has the ideal voice for Panthro.

Tygra: Ioan Gruffudd
His quiet, studious gray-templed lead role in the first Fantastic Four film definitely approaches that of this stealthy, wise Thundercat.

Jaga: Sir Ian McKellen
I can't envision anyone else as the spirit of the oldest Thundercat offering sage advice to Lion-O, save for perhaps the late Alec Guinness.

Snarf: Andy Serkis
His expressive features and vocal talents merged with state-of-the-art computer animation to bring King Kong and Gollum to life, and they could do the same for Lion-O's most trusted ally and comic relief.

Wilykat and Wilykit: Relative unknowns.
Every child actor I considered for the young twins turned out to be older than I remembered, and too old for the part. I think this would have to be the first movie for whichever boy and girl were cast, and a possible starting point for their careers.

Mumm-Ra: Keith David
Can you imagine our heroes entering a dark pyramid and hearing his voice whispering through the catacombs, then booming as he emerges from his sarcophagus and transforms into his more powerful form? I certainly can and if he's unavailable, Tony Todd would be next on my list.

S-S-Slithe: Andy Serkis
He's versatile enough to play two roles when the character is computer generated, and if he could do Gollum's voice he could definitely handle the lizard leader of the mutants.

Jackalman: Mark Hamill
He's made an entire career providing voices for sinister characters like Joker, and I know he'd work his magic on Jackalman's sniveling, devious tones.

Monkian: Ron Perlman
‘nuff said.

* * *


I didn't include Vultureman(who would probably be Serkis as well), the three new Thundercats introduced in the show's second season, or any of the other enemies and allies they encountered on Third-Earth in their 130 episodes. The film would have enough to cover with the initial cast, and might even cut some of these characters as well, saving them for sequels. If there really is a movie in a few years and any of my predictions are fulfilled, remember you read them here first.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Jerry Novick said...

Brilliant casting! Who owns the rights to Thundercats? Maybe we can get the film rights.

6/06/2006 9:03 AM  
Blogger Lyndon said...

Nice casting MCF! So who would you get to direct the movie?

6/06/2006 11:00 AM  
Blogger kevbayer said...

Snarf!

6/06/2006 6:19 PM  
Blogger Darrell said...

MCF: I had considered stealing CVW itself and following every post Darrell stole with the same topic here

Well, it's a good thing you didn't, bub, because violating people's copyrights is an idea that's totally original to me, and I'd sue you over it.

You posted your age once and there's, like, five years? I think? Between your age and mine. SOOO much can happen in five years if they're between two crucial ages. I totally missed out on Thundercats. By the time they were on I thought cartoons were kids' stuff... which, of course, they are... but I was at that stupid age where kids think that enjoying kids stuff is stupid. Anyway, I know nothing about the Thundercats, so there's no point in the comment I just wrote and that you just read. Don't we both feel silly?

6/06/2006 7:25 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

What I want to know is when Jem is going to come to life.:)

6/06/2006 7:31 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

Jer: I would think Rankin Bass although the DVDs have been released by Warner Home Video, so maybe Warner owns the rights now.

Lyn: Either Brian Singer or Peter Jackson would fit the bill nicely as director.

Kev: Snarfer, Snarfer, Uncle Osber--I mean, Uncle Snarf...

Dar: Here's the opening credits to bring you up to speed on what you missed...

...And Family Guy shows us what we didn't see, with the original voice actors no less!

Jan: When are you going to send them your audition video? :)

6/06/2006 10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyone figure out who owns the rights yet?

7/20/2006 4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home