6.15.2006

Makes me laugh...

• Driving to work yesterday morning, Chumbawumba's “Tubthumping” came on. One of the things that always brought a smile to my face whenever I heard it was the dulcet tones of the female vocalist in contrast to the boisterous male singers, as she makes the phrase “pissing the night away” sound very classy and soothing.

• On the back roads leading to where I work, someone had repainted the white lines at every stop sign. To prevent cars from driving over these lines, a row of four traffic cones had been set up along each one. At every intersection the cars would have to drive into oncoming traffic to avoid hitting the cones on their side, then quickly get back into their lane to avoid hitting the cones on the other side, and pray that no one was coming the other way at the same time. This was especially amusing when I had to drive around a row of cones and make a right turn under a train trestle with a sharp turn on the other side.

• On Kelly's recommendation, I checked out the 1979 classic The Clonus Horror. The Island is nearly identical in plot and concept to this film, but the newer film skews more toward an action blockbuster while the original is more thought provoking and horrifying. Though I liked Clonus, it reminded me of how far acting has progressed in 2 or 3 decades. Back then film styles seemed more like a plays than reality, with exaggerated reactions and dead line delivery falling somewhere between a mannequin and a soap star. Soap acting cracks me up too. I think the next time I'm in a challenging meeting and need to lighten the mood, I'll turn my back on everyone and address the ornate bottles of liquor just out of focus in the foreground as I swirl vodka in a glass and admit that yes, yes it was I who designed not one but two catalogs, but only truly love one of them.

• The Quizno's near my job had pricing columns transposed in one section of their sandwich menu, so regular subs were listed as less than small subs. At the register the manager apologized and said he couldn't honor it, then told one of his minions that they really have to fix that sign. Toward the end of the meal he approached our table and handed out cards. Each time you visit with one of those cards and purchase something, a box is circled. When the card is filled, you get a free meal. These cards had three sections circled on the house, with only three more visits required to get the deal. I've noticed two things about this card. Primarily, it's valid for the months of May and June only, which means we'd have to return four times in the next two and a half weeks. Secondly, as I double-checked the card to write about it just now, I noticed that the offer is actually $5 off my next purchase.

Angry Alien 30 Second Bunny Parodies always make me smile, and Lyndon has posted a link to their latest: Superman.

• Imagine Cypress Hill covering just about any song outside of the hip hop or hard rock genre, such as Fly me to the Moon(TO THE MOOON!!) or American Pie(DAY THAT I DIE!!).

• My old ”self-portrait.”

• As we approached a toll booth on our road trip Sunday, my CD of live Guns n' Roses performances shrieked the question, ”Do you know where the **** you are?”, to which I responded, “We're in Pennsylvania, baby!” You can't plan timing like that. Ironically, hours later, we'd find that we did not, in fact, know where the **** we were.

”Dude...the party's over!”
(h.t. jpeg .at. 11)

3 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

Oh wow, you watched Clonus without the benefit of the MST3K crew? Brave guy. Well, now that I think about it, it's one of the few mistied movies that I would be OK with watching "straight". I really like the plot, think they handled it much better than in The Island, but the acting is horrible. One of the comments about the main character: "He's like a sensitive Steve Guttenberg." You gotta admit, having that one Darren and Peter Graves makes ANY movie solid gold as far as cheese factor goes. :-)

And you should definitely go soap in your next meeting. LOL!

6/15/2006 4:28 AM  
Blogger Lyndon said...

I would definitely want to hear Cypress Hill do a cover of American Pie.

Can't be any worst, then the version Madonna did a few years ago.

6/15/2006 8:10 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Oh, I fell for it, hook,line and sinker---the self-portrait thing. I think that after I refrained from asking you to accurately describe yourself on MCFAT13, you could have been kinder ;)

6/15/2006 10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home