5.25.2006

mY iMaginary iPod

I do not own an iPod. I don't even own a regular Pod. Imagine for a moment that I do, and that lyrics listed below are from songs in my playlist. How many can you guess* without clicking?

1. Load up on guns/Bring your friends/It's fun to lose/And to Pretend

2. Man we were killin' time/We were young and restless/We needed to unwind/I guess nothin' can last forever

3 Moon is full, never seems to change/Just labeled mentally deranged/Dream the same thing every night/I see our freedom in my sight

4. Word to your moms I came to drop bombs/I got more rhymes than the bibles got psalms/And just like the prodigal son I've returned/Anyone stepping to me you'll get burned

5. Tequila in his heartbeat, his veins burned gasoline./It kept his motor running but it never kept him clean./They say he loved adventure, Ricky's the wild one./He married trouble and had a courtship with a gun.

6. So many people have come and gone/Their faces fade as the years go by/Yet I still recall as I wander on/As clear as the sun in the summer sky

7. It goes down the same as the thousand before/No ones getting smarter/No ones learning the score/Your never ending spree of death and violence and hate/Is gonna tie your own rope

8. Give me a whisper/And give me a sigh/Give me a kiss before you/tell me goodbye

9. All the vampires walkin' through the valley/Move west down Ventura Boulevard/And all the bad boys are standing in the shadows/All the good girls are home with broken hearts

10. And if I should falter/Would you open your arms out to me/We can make love not war/And live at peace in our hearts

11. We both lie silently still/In the dead of the night/Although we both lie close together/We feel miles apart inside

12. It's in the blood, it's in the will/It's in the mighty hands of steel/When you're standin'' your ground/And you never get hit when your back's to the wall/Gonna fight to the end and you're takin'' it all

13. Not about to see your light/But if you wanna find hell with me/I can show you what its like/Till your bleeding

14. Backstreet lover on the side of the road/I got a bomb in my temple that is gonna explode/I got a sixteen gauge buried under my clothes/I play...

15. Sometimes you tell the day/By the bottle that you drink/And times when you're all alone/All you do is think

16. So you think I got a funny face/I got no worries/I don't know why/I don't know why

17. Acting like a robot/Its metal brain corrodes./You try to take its pulse/Before the head explodes.

18. Push me again/This is the end/Skin against skin blood and bone/You're all by yourself but you're not alone

19. Gray is my favorite color/I felt so symbolic yesterday/If I knew Picasso/I would buy myself a gray guitar and play

20. I believe in the kingdom come/Then all the colors will bleed into one/Bleed into one/Well yes I'm still running

* Hat tip to Wendy for this idea. All songs and lyrics belong to their respective creators and/or copyright holders.

7 Comments:

Blogger Lorna said...

I was just as awestruck and needy at the end of Wendy's list as yours----I know none of these, and most of it sounds so amazing. I think I'll have to devote the month of November, that worst of Canadian months, to just listening to lyrics.

5/25/2006 12:03 PM  
Blogger Darrell said...

Just a few notes: I disqualified myself from answering #3 and #14 because, were I not a Christian, I would probably worship the band responsible for #3 or the album (but not the band) from which #14 is drawn. It's my all time favorite album. I got the tattoo and everything. You've heard this rant before, right?

5/25/2006 1:49 PM  
Blogger Darrell said...

Accidentally hit the enter key and posted that comment before I was done.

Anyway:

#5 got me and I felt SO stupid when I saw what it was.

Same for #7.

#10: Man, I hate that song.

#12: You say toe-MATE-oh, I say toe-MAHT-oh, You say "Transformers," I say "Boogie Nights," ...

#13: The part where he sings "Father, gonna take your daughter out tonight..." I used to think he was singing "Father, gonna take you to the hop tonight..."

#20: Nice touch to end the post with.

5/25/2006 1:53 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

I always thought it was "Father! Gonna take you down and out tonight!" Learn something new everyday.

TTTM came out in '86; Stan Bush wrote "The Touch" and the song "Dare" specifically for that movie. It was 1997 when we heard Wahlberg resurrect it. It could be a bit of an anacronism since that movie takes place in the late 70s, but I think it progresses into the 80s. I saw it in theaters so it's been like 9 years, believe it or not. I got so geekily giddy when I heard it and my gf had no idea what I found so funny.

Of course, there was nothing funny about the song in 1986. (Also en espanol.)

5/25/2006 3:52 PM  
Blogger SPM said...

I knew 2, 5, 6, 9, 11, 15 and 16. I should have had 19 and 20. No way on the others. Cool idea. I might have to do that myself, although I have an iPod...

5/25/2006 4:09 PM  
Blogger kevbayer said...

I recognized maybe 4 tops. Obviously, The Touch (Transfan that I am), and Bon Jovi, and a couple of others.
Didn't know someone re-did The Touch... have to look that up.

5/25/2006 10:57 PM  
Anonymous Moveable Cubicle said...

Thanks dude for such an good article i didn't do that well as i am not a heavy metal fan.But i can gurantee you if you want cheaper containers you can to http://www.moveablecubicle.com/

7/09/2009 1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home