4.24.2006

Monday Randomness

1) Remember when I said ”Roth is the Worst?” Well, because FREE FM plays music on the weekend, I had that station on when I started my car this morning. Instead of David Lee Roth, I heard two other idiots, Opie and Anthony. Yes, those guys, the ones who lament the fact that everyone remembers them as the DJs who had a couple of listeners have sex in St. Patrick's Cathedral. They brought it up again this morning, so it would be remiss of me not to mention it. I guess I wasn't in the minority in my opinion about Roth, and though his replacements stole my joke and suggested they would eventually be replaced by Sammy Hagar, I wouldn't be surprised when it happens. Personally, I'm looking forward to the day I hear music and not idiotic banter on that station but until that day, I'll be tuning in elsewhere.

2) For nearly two months now, a large broken tree limb has hung precariously by a smaller branch, dangling over several spaces in our parking lot at work. Thus far, the solution has been to place four traffic cones in the four spaces directly underneath it. This afternoon I got a phone call from a friend letting me know the latest development to look for when I departed for the evening. Apparently someone found a way to get up to the dangerous object and ensure that it wouldn't endanger anyone, anymore. Yes, that branch is now securely tied to the tree by a rope or possibly a length of garden hose, and it's not going anywhere. Just to be safe, they've left the traffic cones in place as well. If I remember to bring my camera with me tomorrow morning, I may try to get a picture of this marvel.

3) 3.25 miles in 25 minutes on a treadmill is a good time for me. It's not my best, which was 3.5 miles, but I'm finally getting closer to my goal.

4) I can say without hyperbole that Prison Break is the best show on television right now. The premise of one brother getting himself thrown into a prison he helped design to help his older brother escape from death row seemed far-fetched at first, but the elaborate plan involving a map concealed in his full-body tattoo and growing posse of shady accomplices grows more outrageous and intriguing by the week. One thing I've learned is that something horribly wrong will always threaten the plan, each wrench worse than the previous one, yet somehow Michael Scofield will make it work. I never know how he'll get out of a jam until the following week, and it's fun to guess. I think tonight we saw one massive snafu that we'll learn Michael intended to happen, though I'm not yet sure why, but we also saw some hesitation on his part with another task he set out to accomplish, for once something he didn't count on...

5) How I Met Your Mother, dare I say it, is a ”Legendary” show, to borrow from the lexicon of Neil Patrick Harris' Barney. Though the twist in tonight's episode wasn't difficult to figure out, arriving there made for a fun ride. One thing that disturbs me is Alexis Denisof, husband to HIMYM star Alyson Hannigan and fellow Buffy/Angel alumnus. I didn't realize until after last week's episode that he now had a recurring role as a sunny morning news anchor. Tonight he had a more prominent role, as the date for Robin, played by series regular Cobie Smulders. He shouldn't be clean-shaven and talking with a (sort-of) American midwest accent. It's a very goofy look and sound for him, and he was much better off with stubble and a heavy British accent. Jumping around firing a pair of shotguns at demons in Woo-ish slow motion would be cool too, but I doubt we'll see him do that on this show. His possible ad lib to his wife Hannigan, “I can't imagine you grumpy” was one of the weaker parts of an otherwise great episode. If it was an ad lib, they really should not have left it in.

6) 24. 24 is the best show on television, and Jack Bauer can handle anything by shooting, driving, or just yelling. He even seems to have a magic hood that keeps out nerve gas and makes him invisible when he needs to sneak into places, which is really convenient but all part of the show's charm. James Heller really made some crappy decisions this season though, while remaining belligerent about all of them. Also of note, the show has become a haven for the cast of Robocop, with Peter Weller playing Christopher Henderson, Ray Wise playing Vice President Hal (Jordan Guy?) Gardner, and Paul McCrane joining the cast in tonight's episode. Can ”Red Forman” be far behind?

7) You know what, The Sopranos is actually the best show. I gasped about four times watching a tape of last night's episode, once for a rabbit, once for a hand, and once for poor Lauren Bacall. I can't believe she played herself, got mugged, and punched in the face! Overall, the episode belonged to Artie Bucco, from the funny little kung fu dance he does after (finally) winning a fight with someone, to the beautiful cooking scene at the end when he finally gets back to doing what he loves, and loving what he's doing. As always, Christopher had some of the funniest lines, and “that Law and Order show...you know, Ess You Vee” was great.

8) I watch a lot of television, and tonight I enjoyed everything I saw. Perhaps later this week I'll be more critical and chronicle the rise and fall of Alias, as it crawls through its last five episodes with more sitcom theatrics and less of the tension and danger that made it one of my favorite shows five years ago...

6 Comments:

Blogger The Unseen One said...

Two more and you would have been in violation of copywrite law. ;)

So what are your predictions for the Sopranos?

4/25/2006 7:33 AM  
Blogger MCF said...

This thing with Vito will be a catalyst for a war between NY and NJ. I don't know if Philly or one of Philly's people are going to wack Vito, or if in a twist Vito fights back and kills Philly, but either way it's not going to be good for Tony. I expect Tony to survive this season and next year's additional 8 episodes, but all bets are off for the finale unless they go to the feature film. THEN all bets are off.

I'm still not sure if Junior is faking the dementia. It would be great if at the end he seizes control and we find this was all part of his master plan to wrest control back from Tony. Chianese is getting older though so maybe they've cut his part back for health reasons?

AJ is going to go down his father's path but end tragically, a la Jackie Aprile. Whether or not this leads to real reform for Tony or a darker downward spiral, I can't say.

Paulie and Christopher will continue to say stupid stuff and crack me up. "Cecil B. De Moltisanti" indeed.

Those are some of my guesses...

4/25/2006 10:39 AM  
Blogger MCF said...

Oh, and why do you think I stopped at 8 and called it Monday Randomness instead of 10 things I Learned this Weekend? I know to avoid infringement by doing something totally different. ;)

4/25/2006 10:40 AM  
Blogger Darrell said...

Wendy grew up in NY and used to listen to Opie and Anthony. Before she moved to VA, when I'd visit her in PA, there was a station we could hear Opie and Anthony on. I thought their program was OK... maybe a notch above Stern. Maybe only half a notch.

OK, a quarter notch.

Their St. Patrick's stunt, of course, is just the scummiest thing ever.

The only radio I ever listen to is AM radio. If I want music in the car, it's gotta be on CD.

I can't believe that Roth lasted as long as he did. I never once heard so much as a sample of his program on FREE FM, but I'm still amazed that he ever finished the first week. Roth, God bless him, is one of hte most annoying human beings who's ever drawn breath.

4/26/2006 10:20 AM  
Blogger Janet said...

It's surprising how well How I Met Your Mother is taking off. On one hand, I'm happy for Neil Patrick Harris. I'm nostalgic for Doogie days, after all. On the other hand though, Doogie as a WOMANizer? Please!:)

4/26/2006 5:49 PM  
Blogger Xtine said...

I cant believe Lauren Bacall got punched. Amazing episode.

4/26/2006 8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home