4.22.2006

Fifteen Comics: Part Three

In a hypothetical world, there's a shortage of paper and other supplies and in an effort to conserve, only FIFTEEN monthly comic books remain. Fortunately, I get to decide which books survive as well as the writers and artists assigned. Check out my previous posts for the first ten:

1-5

6-10


And now, the exciting conclusion:

11) TMNT
Creative team: Eastman & Laird


The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles would live on, handled by their original creators! I was confused when I saw the movie in 1990 and so many things were “changed” from the cartoon. But the truth was, the cartoon was aimed at a much younger audience and deviated more from the source material than the movie did. The current cartoon series is a lot darker and more mature, although it maintains the humor and personalities of the characters, and if there were only fifteen comic books left in the world I would want this to be one of them. On a side note, I just read that the season 4 cliffhanger that aired last weekend won't be resolved in the fall, as the network decided to jump ahead to season 6, and release the 5th season only on DVD. FOX strikes again...



12) Pantheon
Writer: Jerry Axl Novick
Artist: Mark Texeira


It is a very dark time for powerful races who consider themselves gods. An unholy alliance between Mephisto, Loki, Hela, Pluto, and Ares has led to the downfall of not one but two kingdoms, Asgard and Olympus. With Odin and Zeus slain, their souls in Mephisto's clutches, what hope do the surviving members of their respective races have? Thor and Hercules will join forces to save their fathers and restore their kingdoms, aided by other heroic gods and the one mortal whose strength rivals their own: The Incredible Hulk.


13) Transformers/G.I.Joe
Writers: Simon Furman(plot), and Larry Hama(script)
Artist: Andy Wildman


For this book I've chosen a creative team that has experience with both Transformers and G.I. Joe. This would be a continuity-free series set in present day, that takes both franchises back to their roots. When two factions of a warring alien race crash on Earth, the Joe team finds it may have greater concerns than waging war against terrorists like Cobra. Can they form an alliance with the heroic Autobots when the worst distrusts and fears all of the robots? With Cobra forming a tenuous alliance with the evil Decepticons, they may not have a choice as survival outweighs good public relations...


14) Patriots
Writer: Larry Hama
Artist: Chris Bachalo


It's a dangerous world, and while Captain America is a symbol of freedom and liberty, sometimes the world needs more than symbols. Enter John Walker and his new covert anti-terrorist unit. Together with Tanya Sealy, Cable, Frank Castle, David North and the Foreigner, they travel the world taking on threats quickly, efficiently, and sometimes brutally. Occasionally their methods will bring them into conflict with Captain America and other heroes(especially with members like Sealy and Castle considered to be criminals, and a hired assassin like the Foreigner).


15) Titans
Writer: Marv Wolfman
Artist: John Byrne


Veteran Titans band together as Nightwing, Changeling, Raven, Starfire and Cyborg reunite! They're not teens anymore, and they've seen too many casualties among their allies and successors. Heroes among heroes, they are the Titans.

* * *


And there you have it! Maybe it's a good idea the world isn't limited to just 15 comics, with me in charge. I'd like to thank the readers that stuck with me through three days of geek indulgence, and assure you that this site will soon return to normal. Let everyone who fled in terror know it's safe to return. Here's the list one last time in its entirety:

1) Agency X
2) Justice League Unlimited
3) Warriors 2099
4) The Amazing Spider-man
5) Batman: Dark Knight

6) Quasar Corps.
7) United Strikeforce of Avengers
8) Champions
9) Faith
10) The All-New, All-Invinvible Iron Man

11) TMNT
12) Pantheon
13) Transformers/G.I. Joe
14) Patriots
15) Titans


Good night, true believers!

7 Comments:

Blogger kevbayer said...

Actually there's a "continuity free" Joe/Transformers title out there now.
It's not bad. Not great, but not bad.

4/23/2006 12:28 PM  
Blogger Rhodester said...

Wow, I so can't relate, having not cracked open a comic book since I was 15, but that's just me- I dig your enthusiasm for what you do.

4/23/2006 3:01 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

Yeah Dave, I realize I may have killed my blog by geeking-out so specifically for 3 days--yesterday I only had five hits. :/ Hopefully this week I'll get back to broader topics that appeal to my whole audience, like soda. :)

Kev the only TF/Joe thing I've seen recently was a TPB drawn by Jae Lee and set during WW2. I know there are a few other series but I haven't read them yet. In a world with only 15 comics though, I'd definitely have one of those. :)

4/23/2006 4:51 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I feel like that guy on Hogan's Heroes who always said, "I know nothink!"
I don't know a thing about comic books. It's like when people start talking about hockey. I've never seen a hockey game in my life.

4/23/2006 7:07 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Jamie Dawn, you just killed a bit of my soul there. No comics or hockey? How is that possible?

MCF, I like comics and I still have pretty much no idea what you were talking about in these last 3 posts. But, like Rhodester, I like your enthusiasm. And your multiple Joss Whedon picks.

4/24/2006 8:09 AM  
Blogger Jerry Novick said...

Dude, your concept for Pantheon rocks! I'm ready to write it. Let me know when Joe Quesada gives it the green light.

4/24/2006 9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

woot! This all sounds great. Sorry I took so long before posting on this, but I followed your example (true, I did mine all in one post, but I did it) and thought that I wouldn't post on any other blog until I was done. Well, a nearly a week later, BOO-YAH! Here's to you!

(BTW, most of these are blatant rip-offs of either your choices or just continuations of already existing comics.)

4/28/2006 5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home