8.17.2005

PBW: Aftermath.

In the aftermath of the tornado that hit my home town last Friday, I ventured out this past Sunday to get some shots for this week's Photo Blog Wednesday. I'm morally obliged to inform you that these images, especially one in particular, are not for the faint-of-heart. I shot two locations: the parking lot of a bank, and a field and side street near my old middle school. As of today, clean-up efforts are still going on. Some people lost power. One person had a car crushed by a falling tree. Another family had their house sheared in half. The newspapers said there were no casualties, but I know otherwise. In the parking lot of that bank, where the jagged end of a fallen tree lorded over the battlefield like a triumphant dragon, I faced a horror that I didn't realize until too late. As I made my way snapping pictures, I noticed several grey mounds dashed against the pavement, barely recognizable until I came across some with intact beaks. I truly WAS in the middle of a battlefield where nature had defeated about 40 or 50 occupants of that fallen tree. I was torn about taking a photo, and about posting it. I think journalism NEEDS to show the truth at all times, both good and bad. I do know that I'd never want to photograph the aftermath of an actual war, nor find myself faced with the sight I saw in that parking lot ever again. As I stepped carefully and made my way back to my car, a flock of birds erupted from the branches of a nearby tree that had stood firm.

I could take some solace in watching the survivors soar.












~ ~ ~ ~ ~













Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

Oh my goodness! I just scrolled through the pictures before going back up and reading what you wrote. I didn't even recognize those as birds. How sad. I always thought animals could sense "trouble" weather and get away in time ...

8/17/2005 11:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was like a horror movie moment because I didn't realize they were birds. I was happily walking through this parking lot, snapping pictures, avoiding these little grey piles of leaves or whatever, then I realized what they were and that I was SURROUNDED by them.

I don't know why they didn't fly away. The storm hit fast late at night, so maybe they were sleeping. :(

8/18/2005 10:34 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

It's all in the point of view isn't it? Not to take away from the pathos of it, but it reminds me of the Monty Python newscasts which would have leads like "No parrots were injured in a 54-car pile-up on the M16!". Remember this is from the person who loves"The Book of Bunny suicides" .

8/18/2005 10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home