8.11.2005

A Fanbase for Everything.

It's no secret that I'm a big fan of DVDs, and probably less of a secret that I've always enjoyed my cartoons. I'm a product of all the major ‘80s shows, half-hour toy commercials in disguise such as The Transformers or G.I.Joe. There was a time when it was socially acceptable to enjoy such programs, a time when all the boys wanted to be He-man and all the girls wanted to be She-Ra. That time ended in 6th grade when we all began Middle School, and if my friends and classmates were still watching these shows, they certainly weren't admitting it. The first sign of this major social change occurred when I was talking to a girl on the phone that I'd been good friends with in elementary school. She was not going to the same school and I hadn't heard from her in months, but she didn't seem interested in my recounting the Transformers episode I was watching at the time and cut our conversation short. I’d never hear from her again. The lesson I took from that as a boy was that girls don't like Transformers, but the deeper lesson is that a girl deserves more attention than anything on television at any time, be it cartoons, sports, or anything else. Subsequent signs that cartoons were no longer hip included no one wanting to talk about the shows in school the next day after they aired, and the amount of kids that laughed at me when I came in one Halloween dressed as Lion-O, Lord of the Thundercats.

Thundercats may be the single most derivative series ever made. A careful eye can recognize elements of Superman(they rocket away from an exploding planet), Transformers(they crash on another world where they cannibalize their ship into a base built into the side of a mountain and learn to live with the locals), He-man(the leader of the group wields a magic sword, though this probably can be traced more accurately back to Arthurian legend), Star Wars®(an old and wise Thundercat dies in the pilot episode and remains on as a spirit that advises Lion-O from time to time, shades of Obi-Wan Kenobi, and the Thundercats are also assisted at times by a local Ewok-like race known as Berbils) and many more. The show may have been derivative in its elements, but brilliant in its use and execution of them to create a new mythos that incorporated the best of science fiction and fantasy. And what young boy WASN'T in love with the most glaring exception from my list of favorite femme fatales, the one-and-only Cheetara? Blonde, athletic, and (literally) a cat person, she was the ideal woman.

There are many shows I'm nostalgic about and, now that so many are available on DVD, they've slowly been joining my collection. One of the great things about DVDs is the special features, and seeing what can be considered a special feature. It always amazes me to see the shows that inspire a dedicated fan base. People from all countries and all walks of life are (painfully) aware of Star Trek conventions, but did anyone realize that there were Red Dwarf conventions? I had no idea before checking out DVD special features. I made the same discovery about Gargoyles and was both shocked and amused to see fans in a hotel center wearing homemade costumes. And while I was a big enough fan of Transformers to once ignorantly destroy a potential relationship and to now own the series on DVD, I didn't know about BotCons until I started surfing the internet a few years ago, nor have I been to one.

If something exists with an audience, no matter how small, somewhere fans will gather. Maybe it's not someplace physical. The internet certainly has made it easier for people with similar interests to gather on blogs and message boards and connect across the globe. I picked up Thundercats on DVD recently, and the included “special feature” is an interview with several fans, now grown up, recounting their memories of the show. The most prominent of these individuals is Wil Wheaton. If there's anyone on this planet that isn't ashamed of being a geek, it’s him. It doesn't matter that Jerry O'Connell has more of an acting career, Corey Feldman is more infamous, or Keifer Sutherland is still one of the coolest people on this planet. Wil has a wife, kids, cats and an overall good life. He sits there the same as any other fan, any other regular person, and lays out why he loved Thundercats. No matter what, I have to respect him for that.

What do you readers think of fans? Is there a line that can be crossed? Is there a difference between talking or writing about the shows you enjoy, and gathering with others wearing costumes of your favorite characters? Is it more socially acceptable to do so with some shows more than others? I've worn my share of geeky costumes on any number of Halloweens, but never on any other day of the year. Is it wrong for others to dress up the other 363 days?

7 Comments:

Blogger Xtine said...

I have just read a bunch of your posts. I really like your blog.

8/12/2005 7:28 AM  
Blogger Darrell said...

The only TV show I own on DVD is Strangers With Candy, which was often horribly offensive but was, in my opinion, the smartest parody of political correctness ever. It's amazing to me that the show ever actually aired on television, even cable. I own all three seasons on DVD. Wendy is rabid to get the Dr. Katz show on DVD, but as of now there are no plans to release it on DVD. She checks the status on that at least once a month.

8/12/2005 8:33 AM  
Blogger Janet said...

I blogged once all about my feelings on Wil Wheaton. Instead of trying to paraphrase here, I'll just point you to that post:

http://www.theartofgettingby.com/2005/03/its-all-about-wheaton.html

For the record, I was never much of a cartoon fan myself. Sure I watched Jem and The Smurfs, but man, give me a good ep of Kids Incorporated over those guys any day.

8/12/2005 9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xtine--Thanks, welcome to the Nexus!

Darrell--Do those DVDs show fans going to Strangers with Candy and Dr. Katz conventions?

Janet--I really enjoyed reading your assessment of Wheaton. It was funny, and true. I wonder if he gets together for a "We're not dead" support group once a week with Joyce DeWitt, Abe Vigoda, Estelle Getty, and Harry Anderson. I like that he's not bitter about where his career has or hasn't gone, and that his successes didn't go to his head either. He's just a regular person.

Kids, Inc. was one of those live-action Kids Shows that somehow slipped by me. Others, like The Electric Company, Square One, 3-2-1 Contact, and Double Dare did not.

Jem was a guilty pleasure which I justified watching because it was a Sunbow cartoon like TF and G.I.Joe, shared the same animation and a lot of voice actors, and was sandwiched between other great early Sunday morning cartoons like Inhumanoids, and Bigfoot. Plus I liked the Misfits. The Misfits. Their songs were better.

8/12/2005 10:19 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

I'm old enough to have been a fan of the first StarTrek series, and had I had money, I would have been a Con goer from the first chance. I think that although people can take their fandom too far, mostly it's healthy to realize whose values are like yours. I used to say to my son, when he got frustrated about being clumsy and accident-prone, "What would Steve Austin do?" Even when we couldn't find an answer, it always helped to think of the 6M$ man being his usual thoughtful, morals-based hero. I never regretted using that at all.

8/12/2005 7:15 PM  
Blogger kevbayer said...

Hmmm... This almost could've been a blog party.

I just recently got the first season of Gargoyles on DVD. It's just as good as when I watched in reruns on the Disney channel.
And I just watched the "fan" featurette on disc 2.
The most I've ever dressed up is wearing a star trek communicator badge. I have a Star Wars Weekends baseball cap and polo shirt from Disney World.
I've never been to a con, but Rubi wants to go to a Buffy/Angel con if she can.
My cell phone ringtone is the Stargate SG-1 theme (unless Rubi calls me, and then it's the Angel theme).
But I don't really dress up and go to cons, or "live" for the shows.
I more one those people who mostly enjoys my favorite shows in the privacy of my own home.
I read the novels, I buy the legos when I can afford it, I visit some of the websites, I might read the comics, I might have some images from the series as the wallpaper on my computer... I might be able to argue the ins and outs and nitpicks of the series with the best of them, or at least erad other peoples nitpicks and arguments of the ins and outs...
I also recognize that my favorite movie series (star wars) is terribly written and performed, the star trek universe is just cheesey (except for DS9), SG-1 is just silly (which is one of the reasons why I like it), Transformers are WAY overdone, but I still think they're cool (at least G1 is).
I don't think this post has a point, so I'll go now

8/13/2005 3:22 AM  
Blogger MCF said...

Kev, TF as a television series died somewhere between Beast Machines and RiD. At least Beast Machines continued the stories of the Beast Wars characters, even if I didn't like where Skir took the story. Forward and Ditillo's series was such an amazing stand-alone tale in 52 episodes with a clear beginning and end that the follow-up series marred it a bit. And RiD was just a poorly dubbed kiddie anime--robots should NOT get oversized sweatbeads when frustrated. Granted, when I rewatched the G1 shows as an adult I realized how much of my appreciation was nostalgia--when I was 10, I didn't care so much about animation mistakes, grainy film, or the wrong voice coming out of a character. The movie was probably the best G1 ever looked.

At this point, the only TF-related project I have any interest in is the Michael Bay live-action one slated for 2007. I, Robot gave me some indication/hope about what Hollywood can do with giant machines, as did the Matrix sequels. My fingers are crossed....

8/13/2005 10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home