7.11.2005

A question of race

This may be a bit of a sensitive subject, especially for the Nexus of Improbability, but I thought it would be interesting to get feedback from my readers. When movies are made, certain details are invariably changed from the source material, be it a novel, play, television show, or comic book. Some changes are logical given the time constraints a film may have versus its source. Other changes make no sense at all(Gwildor, anyone?) Sometimes, a character in a movie may not resemble the source material at all. The comic book version of Wilson Fisk is an obese white man, but he was portrayed by Michael Clarke Duncan in the Daredevil movie. While a fine actor who did a more than capable job in the role, and was stronger than the film's star, Michael Clarke Duncan is not a fat white guy. The question is, is that a bad thing? I'm honestly not sure.

I won't ruin Fantastic Four for those who've yet to see it, but a minor character in the film who plays a larger role in the comics is portrayed by an African-American. Beyond the change in ethnicity, the attitude of this character is very different as is the locale in which this character is introduced. It was a small part, but it's an interesting change. I don't know what the casting process is. Is it racist to exclude a person from auditioning for the part of a character, if he or she bears no resemblance to the character? I did think Billy Dee Williams to be an unconventional choice for Harvey Dent in the original Batman, and he was later replaced by Tommy Lee Jones in Batman Forever. While Jones bore a closer resemblance to Harvey Dent, changing a star in the middle of a series always bothers me. Then again, they kept recasting the lead role, so that series is hardly a stellar example.

Is it unfair not to cast someone if they don't physically fit the part? Michael Chiklis admitted that when he was 18, he told his friends he wanted to play Ben Grimm someday. He did an excellent job, but before mutating Ben Grimm was a slimmer, better looking guy with a full head of hair. The question remains--should a part go to the best actor even if it means deviating from the source material? How crucial is it to be faithful to the source? And are there some instances in which it would be completely acceptable to tell someone they're not right for the part because of race? For example, does anyone think Owen Wilson would make a good Luke Cage?

I hope tonight's post didn't offend anyone--I tried to raise the subject as delicately as possible. What do you think? Does it matter?

3 Comments:

Blogger Rhodester said...

If anyone takes offense at THAT, then they need to get a life. You're fine, try not to be so concerned about PC.

Okay, in Hollywood there are a multitude of reasons for casting a particular Actor for a role and these reasons are anything but objective. Box office, public perception, the Actor's asking price vs. his/her popularity and sometimes longtime relationships and loyalty actually come into play with whether or not an Actor is right for the part being way down the line.

That being said, a buddy at work and I were recently talking about the upcoming film version of The Honeymooners and the unfortunate fact that they've cast Cedric The Entertainer as **cough** Ralph Kramden.

Now, I'm sorry, but I think it's a horrible idea. I'm not crazy about the concept of a black Ralph and Alice. What if Chris Farley were still alive and they cast him as Bill cosby's Fat Albert in the recent film version? It just wouldn't work, and neither will Cedric as Ralph Kramden.

On the other hand, my buddy thinks it's brilliant and he sees it as a great update to the Ralph Kramden of the 1950's, which I think is what the Producers were striving for.

Whatever the case, he's going to see it and I probably won't. So it just really comes down to personal preference.

Sometimes preference can be influenced, in that when Bewitched was announced with just Nicole Kidman in the lead but no leading man signed yet, I just thought that Ewan McGregor would make a PERFECT Darrin. I'm not a Will Ferrell fan, so when Will was signed on I threw a fit. BUT- when I found that the story isn't really about Sam and Darrin Stevens, but a real witch and a bad actor who get cast for a film version IN the film, I had to admit that Will Ferrel is perfect for the part.. of a bad actor :-)

Maybe I'll see The Honeymooners after all, and I'll end up admitting that Cedric was pretty good.

Their aren't any rules when it comes to this stuff. I don't know about Michael Chikliss (sic?) but I CAN tell you one thing.. I'm sure glad they cast Jessica Alba! **drool**

Okay, I'm done.

7/12/2005 1:15 AM  
Blogger Jerry Novick said...

I think it comes down to whether or not the change makes sense in the context of the movie itself or if the change does not affect the story if the story is meant to mirror the source material.

Using the Daredevil example, Wilson Fisk being a fat white guy or a muscular black guy had no impact on the context of the movie's story nor did it affect the story in reference to the source material. Fisk really could be black or white. It's a no harm, no foul change.

However, and remember I haven't seen FF yet but I think I know the character you are referring to, if the change in actor/actress makes little sense in terms of the story but alters the relationship of the story to the source material, it's a no-no. For instance - without trying to spoil - if a character who was a sweet demure foil for a rough and tumble character in the comic book becomes a sassy street-wise chick for no reason other than fulfilling the sassy street-wise chick quota for the movie, then the producers need to be slapped.

7/12/2005 2:37 AM  
Blogger Rhodester said...

For the record Meepers, I don't have any desire to be in Hollywood. I did that scene for about 4 years and sure I have a *little* insider knowledge, but I haven't auditioned for anything in about two years. I might try selling a screenplay sometime down the road, but otherwise they can have it.

I live about 40 miles south of the action and I haven't even been up in that area for almost a year. I'm staying down here on the south coast, where the air and the people are both fresh.

7/12/2005 12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home