4.26.2005

Serenity NOW!!!!!

Dictionary.com defines serenity as “The state or quality of being serene” and “a disposition free from stress or emotion.” I've been inexplicably achieving it lately despite all outside conditions. I've developed a “whatever” attitude for all the insignificant things that I used to place far, far too much importance on. I've been relaxed behind the wheel, and taking the long way home along the coast. Is it like Frank Costanza's ”Serenity now”? Am I a ticking time bomb waiting for some little pinprick to burst my balloon of zen? I don't think so. It hit me today driving home that the way I've been feeling lately, is like myself. I have no idea what that means. I also thought “I'm back”, which makes little sense as well. I don't know who I've been or where I was, but it's good to be me. However, all my talk of calmness and a relaxed state of being flew out the window a few hours ago when I saw THIS TRAILER and nearly screamed like a girl, remembering at the last second that I was still at work as were many people.

If only EVERY show FOX prematurely canceled got a feature film like Firefly. It'd be very easy for me to go off on a tangent about how they canceled Tru Calling six episodes into the second season, waited until a month ago to air them, and then only showed five out of six, arguably the best five of the series with a lot of plot seeds left to now wither. This trailer looks HOT and while I'm hoping the sounds in space are just for the trailer and not for the film, I could live with marketing pushing Whedon to put the sounds in for the dumb general public because otherwise, I am excited. Ron Glass is conspicuously absent from the trailer, but everyone else is there. Nathan Fillion is still one of the baddest mofo captains of any sci fi series, and Summer Glau's River gets to seriously cut loose. You do NOT mess with either of these two and not suffer consequences. And I think I saw a R****r, but I'll block out that for anyone who doesn't want to be spoiled. Adam Baldwin is in full form as Jayne and Alan Tudyk gets in the kind of wisecrack that only a Whedon character could. The ships look a little clean and CG but it may be too early to judge that. Hopefully, they can get into this story with minimal exposition for newcomers. All I know is September 30th seems very far away, and I wonder if anyone is still reading at this point. If it was me reading my own blog, I don't think I would have gotten past the words THIS TRAILER.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jerry Novick said...

That trailer didn't make me scream - it left me in a hushed awe.

I do wonder why Ron Glass was not in the trailer...

But the snippets of Baldwin as Jayne -- who I think was a brilliant character played excellently (but then again, every character on Firefly was) -- really floored me. When Serenity is over, I'm thinking he's going to take up residence in the hero/anti-hero hall of fame.

I am going to be on pins and needles until September 30th. Guess I'll just have to find serenity in the DVDs...

4/26/2005 11:28 PM  
Blogger avRAGEjoe said...

The wife and I can NOT wait until September 30th. Great trailer, this film is gonna rock! I hope we don't wear out the Firefly DVDs this summer.

4/27/2005 4:01 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Damn, I gotta download Quicktime, but my heart is pounding at the thought of more Firefly. I don't know how I missed it as my ears prick up at the sound of any "F" word---they're in a constant state of prickiness, as you can imagine. I'm ready to do the imitation Star Wars line-up so I don't miss the first Ottawa showing....

4/28/2005 5:36 AM  
Blogger avRAGEjoe said...

I think I may actually be more excited about Serenity than Revenge of the Sith.

4/28/2005 9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home