4.21.2005

Driving Rock

K-Rock is scared. Once Howard Stern leaves the airwaves for satellite radio, I suspect they're worried about losing listeners. Personally, I wouldn't mind having more music options for my morning commute. The last few weeks they've instituted the motto “Great Rock. Period.” and have been mixing older songs in to their playlist. They haven't gone classic, but they've gone far enough back that I'm listening to stuff I listened to in college, and that could explain why I've been feeling young again, as I alluded to the other day. There are certain songs that drive me, that take me away to memories and day dreams, and everything outside my car becomes a blurry background in a music video. There's nothing wrong with the newer music. Beck's new song is funky and bouncy, keeping me rolling even when he isn't even singing words. I first heard the new NIN single on Darrell's Southern Conservative Blog, and that's been getting steady airplay now as well. But for all the good new songs on K-Rock there are the DJs that insist on playing System of a Down's BYOB sometimes FIVE times in a row. I remember when I was younger and everything I listened to was labeled “that rock and roll crap” by my parents. Often I would wonder what the next generation would listen to, if music was in such a decline. If my stuff was bad, what would my children listen to that I would consider “noise”? I think SoaD is it. Just when you're getting in to it and thinking the guy can sing when he wants, he cuts in with the atonal shrieking again. It's NOT music.

Below are some of the songs I've been pleasantly surprised to hear on the radio these past two weeks. Some are songs that had plenty of airplay in the mid-'90s, while others I've only heard on the albums I'd bought back then. At any given time in my car, one of these may take me away:

Undone by Weezer.

Once by Pearl Jam.

Glycerine by Bush.

Wherever I may Roam by Metallica.

Enter Sandman by Metallica.

Hunger Strike by Temple of the Dog.

No Rain by Blind Melon.

Mother by Danzig.

Blitzkrieg Bop by The Ramones.

Young Lust by Pink Floyd.

Cherub Rock by Smashing Pumpkins.

Burden in my Hand by Soundgarden.

Drain You by Nirvana.

Living on a Prayer by Bon Jovi.

Man in the Box by Alice in Chains.

Coming Clean by Green Day.

Off the top of my head, these are just a few of the things I'm hearing again interspersed with the newer stuff. Now THIS is what I call a playlist!

1 Comments:

Blogger avRAGEjoe said...

We have a new station down here that boasts that they will play anything. They seemed to be doing pretty good in that area, but what finally convinced me was hearing them play "Never Say Never" by Romeo Void. I never thought I'd ever hear that on a major radio station, but I should have taken the song title to heart.

4/22/2005 8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home