6.17.2010

My Childhood PSAs Five

Saw what you will about television, but it has a way of teaching us things when we don't even realize it. I can think of a dozen spots that are permanently burned into my brain, sometimes just phrases taken out of context. Maybe we've learned things, and maybe we've just become repositories of useless pop culture. I'm sure most people around the same age share these same memories, but only you can tell me if you share in My Five most memorable television public service messages:

5) “Say ‘NO!' Then go! And tell someone you trust!”


4) “When my get-up-and-go has got up and went, I hanker for a hunk o' cheese!”


3) “To stay out of hot water, keep those pot handles toined IN!”

(For some reason, I can't find the Tweety Bird commercial from this series, about adding cold water to a tub first then adding hot water to warm it up. That one's more memorable, but more elusive; wish I could find it.....)

2) “This is your brain on drugs. Any questions?”


1) “Who taught you how to do this stuff?”
“YOU, all right? I learned it by watching YOU!”
“Parents, who use drugs, have children, who use drugs.”



So what did television teach you as a child?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger kevbayer said...

What an awesome topic for a post!

6/17/2010 12:10 PM  
Blogger Spockgirl said...

Interesting topic. I don't remember any PSAs aired when I watched TV as a kid, but then I have a lot of holes in my childhood memories. I do however remember the last two drug awareness ones, which would have aired either later in the day and into primetime.

6/17/2010 1:56 PM  
Anonymous FawnDoo said...

I admire the approach they took with UK PSAs when I was a child - never mind all that "informing and educating" rubbish, just terrify the bejabbers out of the kids until they do what they're told. That genius thinking gave a generation of UK kids the spirit of dark and lonely water with a little help from Donald Pleasance. :-)

6/17/2010 4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home