1.02.2009

Knights and Docs

The new Knight Rider has been struggling along in the ratings, and with a reduced episode order for the first season, there's a good chance they won't get a second season. I was cautiously optimistic after the film pilot last year, but as soon as I saw a transforming car and acting that made performances in Baywatch and Las Vegas seem Shakespearean, I knew we had another disappointment on our hands on par with last year's Bionic Woman remake. It's a shame that these things look so good and my anticipation is raised based on childhood nostalgia, only to be crushed when they miss all the important things that made the originals so cherished. I can only suspend so much disbelief, and when the car turned into a truck, a van, a submarine, and a police cruiser within the first three or four episodes, even my eyebrows flew above my hairline.

It's a shame, because there was potential there. They had a proven concept and a young cast. Deanna Russo is gorgeous, but her soap opera roots definitely show as she switches from dialogue about her complex relationship with the hero to technobabble, because she's a hot genius martial artist. Aren't beer commercials great? It's weird how that mentality doesn't hold up beyond 30 seconds. I suppose in terms of looks, Justin Breuning is a good male counterpart to Russo, but as an actor he's no Hasselhoff. Yes, I said it. Then there's Val Kilmer, whose monotone completely misses the humanity William Daniels infused into the original show's car. I had heard before the movie pilot earlier in the year that Will Arnett was the original voice, replaced at the last minute by Kilmer due to the conflict of doing voiceover work for a rival car company. I wasn't familiar with Arnett outside of a few 30 Rock appearances, but after getting caught up on Arrested Development a few months ago, I'm really sorry they went with Kilmer's Robo-Madmardigan instead. Imagine the possibilities of The Final Countdown blaring from the speakers as KITT asked, “But where did the transmission fluid come from?”

Here's the real kicker though. As bad as the show was, each episode got marginally better. I still wouldn't call it good, but it was the sort of mindlessly entertaining hour that would make for a great drinking game. Oh look, they're referencing this twenty-something driver's mysterious past and tattoo again. Hey, this is the part where the computer techs flirt while delivering clunky exposition. Uh-oh, KITT is questioning yet another human colloquialism! And so on. With the mention of a prototype a few weeks ago, KARR was sure to be introduced. The “evil twin” talking car concept from the original series was mentioned again in the latest new episode, which aired on New Year's Eve of all times, and a preview gave us a glimpse of the evil robot that will be the threat for the next three, likely final, episodes. It could be really great but probably won't be, and the only truly exciting thing I've heard is that Peter Cullen may reprise his voice acting role as KARR from the original series. It's even more of a reminder that they have all these great pieces to make an awesome show, but they're not putting them together right. It's tragic.

In brighter news, Scrubs returns next Tuesday with the start of what I hope are the final eighteen episodes. It's not that I don't love the show, but I love it so much that I don't want to see it dragged out and diluted. I've heard rumors of a ninth season if this eighth one does well, that they'd continue even if actors like Zach Braff and Judy Reyes didn't return. I believe both have said this is their final season, and it wouldn't be the same show without them. I want this season for the closure the show deserves. Let's see a happy ending for J.D. and Elliot, see Cox thrive as the new Chief of Medicine, and find out once and for all the Janitor's real name(my money is on Neil Flynn). Courtney Cox is joining the cast for at least a few episodes, and given the show's track record with guest stars like Brendan Fraser and Michael J. Fox, I'm sure her run will be great.

Television often promises great things and while sometimes it may disappoint, other times it will live up to or exceed your expectations. I'm hoping the new Knight Rider ends far better than it began, and that Scrubs ends just as great as its been for the past seven years, if not better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home