9.11.2008

T.I.L.T. Things I've Learned Thursday XV

Welcome to yet another edition of Things I've Learned Thursday. Please join me as I share pseudo-knowledge and fill space:

* When walking more than two miles to get lunch, take advantage of the shade offered by back roads, especially if you're familiar with the area. When walking back to the office, sticking to the main roads guarantees some coworker will spot you and offer you a lift when you're stretching the definition of “hour” and starting to feel tired.

* Never put off for tomorrow what you can put off for the day after tomorrow.

* Sometimes, talking is a good thing. Plans and notions that make perfect sense in your mind can sound absolutely ludicrous when you say them out loud. Last week I mentioned to some friends that one of my thoughts for the future was that I might build a house on my dad's lot. Aside from the headaches involved in getting permits, planning, and achieving such a goal, I mentioned that it was a nice neighborhood although it would be next to a warehouse. “But that's okay because I just heard it was condemned.” Yeah, even I realized how stupid that was after I said it. Buying a house that's already built and not next to a condemned warehouse is a much better idea, and one of these days I should probably start looking again.

* Bees are like dogs. If you walk away slowly and don't make any sudden movements, you won't get hurt. Unless they’re dogs that shoot bees when they bark. Then you need to run like hell.

* The Ace of Spades became known as a “Death Card” after soldiers in Vietnam began leaving them on the dead bodies of enemy troops, believing the spade symbolized death in Vietnamese lore. It's also a pretty cool Motörhead song.

* If characters in J.J. Abrams shows ever learned they were characters in a J.J. Abrams show, I'd advise them not to board a plane under any circumstances. Lost of course centers around the survivors of a plane crash on a mysterious island, the new show Fringe opened with a wonderfully graphic depiction of plane passengers’ skin and jaws sloughing off, and while I've never seen more than a handful of clips from Felicity, I wouldn't be surprised if something horrible happened with a plane on some point on that show as well.

* Darrell is probably right about Death Magnetic. I heard the new single All Nightmare Long on my way home from work, got home before the song finished, and actually sat in my car headbanging until the song ended. Headbanging. Thank God it was dark out. I may actually buy this CD.

* People will read almost anything in bullet form, even if it doesn't comply with a self-proclaimed theme. I could write a grocery list if I wanted to.

* Milk.

* Eggs.

* Shampoo.

* Bread.

* Antacid.

* All size is relative. Whenever I see Danny DeVito with a group of people, he looks short, but if he's sharing the screen with only one other individual he looks normal and the other person looks like a giant. I need to start hanging out with Danny DeVito.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just noticed the date, so here's something else I've learned:

* It's scary how easily we might forget.

9/11/2008 9:42 AM  
Blogger cube said...

I haven't forgotten the date. I'll never forget. I've read many
9/11 posts today & am glad to find your funny post.

I can't believe I missed the first Fringe ep. I could've easily set the DVR, but just forgot. I could kick myself.

As far as DeVito goes, I tower over him. BTW have you seen him without a bottle of Limoncello lately?

9/11/2008 12:06 PM  
Blogger Darrell said...

I intentionally didn't post anything about 9/11 today. I've posted stuff before that I later found melodramatic. Others are paying tribute today in far better ways than I could have. I took a little time today to reflect, I hope everyone did, but I decided to keep my mouth shut this year.

I may actually buy this CD.

Dude, it comes out tomorrow. Buy it. Go get it on your lunch break or whatever. If you don't LOVE IT ... not, like it, not really like it but LOVE IT before you've finished your second listen, I'll DOUBLE your receipt price as a personal refund.

All Nightmare Long is awesome, but there are at least three other songs on there that are even better: The End Of The Line and Broke Beaten and Scarred and the GROUND-SHAKINGLY AWESOME Judas Kiss. Play that one loud.

9/12/2008 12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home