6.09.2007

Big Effing Robots.

Lately, I've been getting really psyched about the new live-action Transformers movie. Every geek has that one thing, that one franchise he or she obsesses over. For the majority, the word “star” is generally found somewhere in the title, but for me it was giant robots from another planet.

It was huge when I was in elementary school. Kids had the toys and discussed the cartoon with the gravest sincerity. I had friends who brought back toys from Japan before they were available here, and friends whose drawing skills blossomed with robots and through competition inspired me to be an artist. I collected all the comic books, and generally they were the gateway to all other geeky things in my life. Cutting a girlfriend off for phoning me during an episode cost me a friendship, and even after my peers outgrew it and the show stopped airing, it was still a part of my life. I didn't dress up in costumes or attend conventions, but I maintained an encyclopedic knowledge, and gained motivation just from listening to music from the show and movie.

Eventually the comic book ended, but by then I'd moved on to other comics and other obsessions. When the line enjoyed a revival with the computer animated Beast Wars, I wasn't drawn in initially. I was too old by then, out of college and starting my first job. I even had a serious, steady girlfriend at that point in my life. At some point I tuned in to the second season of Beast Wars, caught an ingenious plot device that linked it to the original series, and the excitement was re-ignited. The show had one spinoff, after which badly dubbed episodes of Japanese series were imported. Once again, I stopped paying attention.

As news of the new movie trickled out, I rode the roller coaster like any other fan. Would they get all the original voice actors? How much would the robots resemble the cartoon? Would every robot retain their original vehicular mode? Would licensing issues result in changes that ruined the franchise? Through it all, one constant kept my interest: giant ****ing robots were coming, something I've wanted to see since I was 10 years old. I had heard stories of live action shows in Japan, but later learned they were guys in bad costumes tooling around in a miniature city set. Technology has caught up with the needs of the franchise, and giant ****ing robots can be brought to life. It says so on this awesome, awesome t-shirt.

Lately, when I see the trailers I get that sense of youthful energy back. I want to go out and do stuff. I crave action. Maybe I'm just a loser, but I can't help what excites me. I've heard a new theme song on the MySpace page of the band performing it. It's not bad, though not exactly my taste, but I do like the nod to the original theme song. That along with the classic transformation sound effect and the inclusion of Peter Cullen piqued my nostalgia. And B13 sent me an article revealing a very cool video hidden on the viral marketing site Sector Seven that hints and some old favorite characters who could show up in a sequel.

My car gets me to work during the week and to gigs during the weekend, but it never changes into a robot and fights other robots. Life would be so much more interesting if it did, though. I'll leave you with the latest trailer and a fan-made trailer and theme song.





Is it July yet?

7 Comments:

Blogger b13 said...

I absolutely LOVE the new banner.

6/09/2007 1:12 AM  
Blogger Darrell said...

MCF: Lately, I've been getting really psyched about the new live-action Transformers movie.

Lately? Lately, as in for as long as I've been reading your blog? :)

Your enthusiasm has been infectious. I'd call this my most anticipated movie of '07, and I have never seen a single episode of the show. I don't know an autobot from a decepticon (sp?), although my partner at work talks Transformers nonstop. He might explode if July 4 doesn't get here soon. He actually read the novelization last week.

I can't wait until this thing is in theaters and I get all giggly and goose-bumpy when I watch the trailers. I'm certain that I'll like it more than I did S-M3. Spielberg's involvement is a fairly certain mark of quality.

And I'm with B13, the new banner is awesome. It kicks ass. It's a weapon of ass destruction.

6/09/2007 7:46 AM  
Blogger kevbayer said...

I am right there with you - though I wasn't quite obsessed when I was a kid (and didn't have an encyclopedic knowledge). I was a fan, loved the toys, dabbled in the comics, loved the first two seasons of the G1 cartoon - but then kinda lost interest around the time the technobot toys came out.
Still kept a side interest, in that I'd see new toys seemingly always popping up at Walmart... and then Animals?! Beast Wars? Optimus Primal? Come on!
Then I heard on teh interwebs that Beast Wars was official canon relating back (and forwards) to G1 and comics continuity. Okay, so that made me look into it - and then get back into the story, and the new comics ever since.

In that newest trailer, don't you just love the old cartoon transform SFX during Primes tranformation and when the logo transforms at the end? How cool is that!?!?!?!?1!?!

Oh also, have you been to TFW2005.com and checked out all of Tony Bacala's transformers music? Much of it is excellent and I have a couple pieces on Playlist Project playlist (though there are definitely better pieces available than those two).

6/09/2007 9:28 AM  
Blogger kevbayer said...

Oh - and TFW2005 is saying the movie now comes out on July 2nd...

6/09/2007 9:29 AM  
Blogger MCF said...

Wow, 11.21.2004....good catch, D. Lately I've been getting even MORE really psyched, how's that? :)

Spidey 3 had been my most anticipated movie; now with that, POTC3, and Shrek3 behind me the next big one I'm looking forward to is Silver Surfer, but the big ones overall are probably TF and Order of the Phoenix.

When I saw Will Smith flee a giant construction robot in I, Robot, I finally could picture what a live action TF movie would look like, and this seems to be exceeding my expectations, based on what I've seen.

Kev, I've heard Bacala's stuff; very awesome mixes. And I'm so glad for the original sound. I wouldn't have minded the more realistic gears and clanking similar to Beast Wars, but when I heard it on Prime's transformation in the latest trailer it was like when they brought it back for Ravage in that one Beast Wars episode.

Thanks for the banner complements, guys. I had to test out some new toys I bought my computer, and of course the blog would be my first test subject.

"Weapon of ass destruction"; dude, you should write for a living.

6/09/2007 7:05 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

Whoops, wrong Ravage link. This one has the sound effect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b-sQuznwMo

6/09/2007 7:13 PM  
Blogger Jerry Novick said...

Midnight showing, anybody?

6/10/2007 4:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home