3.26.2007

Phantasmic Links 3.26.07

I can honestly say that, so far, TMNT is the greatest comic book movie of 2007. Before this statement causes an uproar, let me remind you that 300 was based on a graphic novel and Spider-man 3 hasn't come out yet.

I have fond memories of seeing the first live action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, mostly because after a lot of begging, it was the first movie my parents let me see with my friends at night and without adult supervision. The original trilogy doesn't stand the test of time, but after a new animated series debuted in 2003, following the comics more faithfully than the kiddie series from the ‘80s, the time was right for a return to the big screen. Rather than puppets and costumes though, the choice to use CGI was a good one, and well executed. Fans of the comic books and/or the newer series shouldn't be disappointed, though a few details might be lost on newcomers. We don't really get introduced to the cast since this is a rough sequel, so it's more like catching up with old friends to see how they've been and what they've been up to. The brothers have drifted apart without an enemy to fight, and some have turned on each other, so when a new threat arises, there's as much internal conflict to overcome as external. There's also one character included that I wouldn't have recognized if not for the new series, and though this character's background is barely hinted at in the movie, it does plant seeds for a potential sequel that I'd gladly pay money for.

I actually did a lot more with my Sunday than see a nostalgic new film, but now it's time to focus on this week's PHANTASMIC LINKS:

This week, Newsarama provided a timely field guide to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I didn't even know about the comics until I was in college, and I haven't read most of them, so this was a really informative article.

Though I've listed Starship Dimensions in the past, when Otis sent it to me I decided to link to it again, since they've done a LOT of updates. It continues to be one of the most comprehensive online guides to science fiction ships and constructs.

This week, Otis also brings us the PG version of 300, which is every bit as good as the original, but a lot funnier.

Sure, we've all seen plenty of online maps and satellite views of our world, but now WikiSky turns things around and looks outward at the stars. Now you can see how people around the world view the constellations!

Is Hugo Weaving the voice of Megatron in Michael Bay's Transformers? I hope this is a red herring; I've really been hoping the incomparable Frank Welker would reprise his classic role, just as Peter Cullen is. I think voice actors are largely overlooked in Hollywood. Even in the TMNT credits, the supporting cast got first billing because they were all voiced by onscreen celebrities. It does seem late in the game to still be recording dialogue for this movie though, so we'll see if it's true or not.

B13 tipped me off to that last item, and he also told me about Dinner in the Sky. I would be so embarrassed if I dropped my knife...

B13 also sent me this awesome Boom Shine game. I got 256 on my first try, and 270 on my second; that last level is frustratingly hard and took me the most time.

I am Mighty! Rey will be defeated! Hat tip to Rey! Whoops, sorry I'm still shouting. Trailer music does that to me; I wonder if I have epilepsy?

Well, let me check by flying into Zoomquilt 2

Finally, enjoy the Top 15 Unintentionally Funny Comic Book Panels and the Top 10 Action Hero One Liners! I'll buy those for a dollar!


Have a link to a game, movie, article, or anything else you think might be “phantasmic”? E-mail me and it just might appear in an upcoming PHANTASMIC LINKS!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is awesome...must see movie this year..

3/26/2007 10:08 AM  
Blogger b13 said...

Zoomquilt was cool but now my head hurts...
The Top 15 Unintentionally Funny Comic Book Panels had me LMAO!

3/26/2007 2:02 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

hmmm...Zoomquilt sounded SO domestic!

3/26/2007 11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home