1.01.2007

Phantasmic Links 1.1.07

A year is a span of time, a journey like any other. We have an idea about where we're going, but there will be detours along the way, some better than others. On the last day of the year I set out on a very specific journey, and while I ultimately reached my destination, the detour proved much better. I'll elaborate more on that later this week. For now I'll wish you all a healthy, safe and Happy New Year!! For the first time in 2007, here are this week's PHANTASMIC LINKS:

That house with the insane holiday light and music show returns with a vengeance! Here's their official site, and thanks to B13 for bringing it to my attention.

B13 also discovered this scary glass skywalk planned for the Grand Canyon.

Here's one last one from B13: Rednecks vs. Bees. I don't think any of my “redneck” buddies would try stuff like that, but I could be wrong...

It's Siskel and Ebert, the Unrated Edition! I think the ratings for their show would have been awesome if they aired that!

Cashback is the most beautiful short film I've seen this week, and I'm not just talking about the artistic nudity(NSFW). It really captures the spirit of the creative mind and the constraints of a work environment. No one with imagination is ever truly a prisoner. Thanks for finding that, Rey!

There was a hidden website and password in the Transformers trailer? This is why I love the internet. Geeks with sharper eyes than mine find things that I'd be just as enthralled by. Jerry found this one.

This playground looks like a modern variation of an old theme. I remember similar structures in my elementary school, though much simpler “mushroom” or “hamburger” shaped blue domes and bowls. Those gave way to a new generation of slides, swings and monkey bars connected by a wooden maze, but it's nice that the concept is being revisited. Curt gets the hat tip on this one.

Do not try this at your local DMV, especially the spraypaint one. Still, when this kid succeeds in getting his picture taken over and over again no matter how ridiculous each new appearance is, you have to laugh at the overall stupidity.

At the other end of the spectrum, Rob Paranovian's take on Pachelbel's Canon is accurate and hilarious. I played in a Baroque brass quintet, and had that same boring part he describes playing on the cello. When you see how much that chord structure carries through to today's popular music though, you really appreciate his genius. I've seen this video at Sean's as well as Scott's.

Bulletproof Bracelets covers the deaths of 2006. There are a few notable ones on there I neglected to mention yesterday, such as Chris Penn, Al Lewis, Dana Reeve, Bruno Kirby, Steve Irwin and Jack Palance. Godspeed to all the departed.

Is this the Betty & Veronica of 2007? Will Archie morph into a weird hybrid of Jimmy Olsen and Parker Lewis? Does anyone even care about Archie anymore?

Are these the best comics of 2007?

Why am I asking so many questions here? MCF's Perilous! III questions won't be posted until tomorrow.

Shatner serenades Lucas. Geek hilarity ensues. My personal favorite moment is the incorporation of Chewbacca...


Have a link to a game, movie, article, or anything else you think might be “phantasmic”? E-mail me and it just might appear in an upcoming PHANTASMIC LINKS!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger kevbayer said...

How'd you do that "Cut" or "jump" thing on the main page, when you click the comment it opens the real post? Pretty cool!
It'd be even better if you'd include a teaser or something in the post that then opens up onto the entire content.
Happy New Year!

1/01/2007 2:26 AM  
Blogger kevbayer said...

Okay now it's not there.
That's weird.

1/01/2007 2:27 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

My goodness, Ebert's a bitch and Siskel is a psycho! That's a great video. And the bee thing was hilarious. Great last post of 2006!

1/01/2007 7:56 AM  
Blogger b13 said...

Update on the skywalk... an architect friend of mine says he thinks it is built :O and he has seen it in some publications. I'll look into it further.

Great links all around. But the DMV thing is scary.

1/01/2007 2:59 PM  
Blogger b13 said...

http://www.grandcanyonskywalk.com/home.html

This should be opening on March 28, 2007

http://www.grandcanyonskywalk.com/update.html

1/01/2007 3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home