11.26.2006

Let's Go to 100 Movies!

Since listing 102 Essential Movies and noting which of those I've actually seen, I've since caught up on two of the ones I had missed, The 400 Blows and On the Waterfront. I really should pay more attention to that list instead of focusing my efforts elsewhere, not that I didn't enjoy getting caught up on the entire Karate Kid quadrology this past week.

Meanwhile, Jeff found a better list, containing The Top 100 Movies of All Time. I use the word “better” subjectively, in that I've watched a lot more from this list, and even own a few. That's precisely the goal of Jeff's meme as well. The ones in bold are the ones I've seen, and an asterisk(*) notes the ones I own, either in VHS or DVD format. I expect I'll feel less out of the loop when I finish this exercise. Feel free to join in the fun!

1. Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back*
2. Fight Club
3. Pulp Fiction
4. The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King*
5. The Shawshank Redemption
6. GoodFellas
7. The Godfather
8. The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring*
9. Jaws
10. Donnie Darko*
11. Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope*
12. The Usual Suspects
13. The Matrix*
14. Raiders Of The Lost Ark
15. Se7en*
16. The Godfather: Part II
17. Gladiator
18. Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
19. Aliens
20. Sin City*
21. The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers*
22. LA Confidential
23. Taxi Driver
24. Die Hard
25. Batman Begins*
26. Back To The Future*
27. Schindler's List
28. Spider-Man 2*
29. The Big Lebowski
30. Heat
31. Reservoir Dogs*
32. Blade Runner
33. Terminator 2: Judgment Day
34. Alien
35. X-Men 2*

36. Annie Hall
37. Léon
38. Casablanca
39. Apocalypse Now
40. Memento
41. Jurassic Park
42. It's A Wonderful Life
43. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
44. Monty Python And The Holy Grail

45. The Third Man
46. The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
47. Toy Story 2
48. A Clockwork Orange
49. Moulin Rouge!

50. The Apartment
51. The Wild Bunch
52. ET: The Extra-Terrestrial
53. Trainspotting
54. Raging Bull

55. City Of God
56. Stand By Me
57. The Thing
58. Scarface (1983)
59. Airplane!
60. The Silence Of The Lambs
61. Blue Velvet
62. Seven Samurai
63. Citizen Kane

64. 2001: A Space Odyssey
65. Shaun Of The Dead
66. Pirates Of The Caribbean: Curse Of The Black Pearl
67. Close Encounters Of The Third Kind

68. Lawrence Of Arabia
69. Halloween
70. The Searchers
71. Rocky
72. Once Upon A Time In The West
73. Platoon
74. Kill Bill: Vol. 1

75. Magnolia
76. The Deer Hunter
77. The Shining
78. American Beauty
79. Fargo
80. Chinatown
81. Saving Private Ryan

82. Vertigo
83. King Kong (2005)
84. Goldfinger
85. The Wizard Of Oz
86. Dawn Of The Dead
87. Requiem For A Dream
88. The Terminator
89. Psycho*

90. Brokeback Mountain
91. Dr. Strangelove Or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love the Bomb
92. The Bourne Supremacy
93. The Incredibles*

94. Some Like It Hot
95. Spirited Away
96. Rear Window

97. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
98. This Is Spinal Tap
99. Forrest Gump

100. The Exorcist

83 out of 100 is definitely better than 40 out of 102! I know I'm still missing some big ones, but I'm looking forward to the day when I hit 100% with both lists.

10 Comments:

Blogger Otis said...

Do yourself a big favor and watch Magnolia and Lawrence of Arabia.

The Thing and Texas Chainsaw Massacre are also excellent movies. I was suprised by Texas Chainsaw Massacre when I first saw it because there was no actual footage of cutting. The director lets you use your imagination and it is totally frightening.

I'll let Darrell ramble about the Exorcist.

11/26/2006 2:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funnily, I struck 87 out of the 100 films there, and it irks me I actually missed anything off of the list. Shaun of the Dead is the most glaring miss of mine. I must find a negotiation for the better half, otherwise all I'll watch for the rest of eternity would be Jackie Chan flix. Not that there is anything wrong there, but rather I would like to impress upon my loving partner there is more to life than Mr. Chan.

11/26/2006 4:54 AM  
Blogger Darrell said...

I've seen them all except for eight of them: Gladiator, The Third Man, Moulin Rouge, Raging Bull (I feel deep shame about that one), Pirates of the Caribbean, Lawrence of Arabia (go ahead, blast me Otis, I deserve it), Chinatown, and Brokeback Mounting. Wendy bought the Brokeback movie for three or four bucks on Black Friday, so I guess I'll have to see Donnie Darko make out with First Knight at some point.

Watch Magnolia AS SOON AS POSSIBLE and don't let ANYONE tell you ANYTHING about it before hand. I guarantee you that you'll get AT LEAST one damn good post out of that movie.

There are a couple of movies on the list that I hated. I am the only person in the world, I guess, who hated Spirited Away, but that movie was so sloooooow and tedious that it made me want to do cocaine and rob a liquor store. I also hated Forrest Gump because, in my opinion, the whole movie boiled down to "Slut uses retarded man." I am also the only person in the world who thought that Vertigo was boring. All of these things indicate that I'm deficient in some way, I readily admit.

11/26/2006 7:11 AM  
Blogger b13 said...

How could you have not seen Halloween or the Exorcist???

11/26/2006 6:39 PM  
Blogger kevbayer said...

Wow.
I'm ashamed to say I haven't seen many of those.
I didn't actually go thru the list and count - but just guessing it's probably close to half. None of the "horror" or "zombie" flicks to mention a few. Those just aren't my cup o' tea.

11/26/2006 6:49 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

I knew B13 would question those two. Other than the Elm Street series, I wasn't big on horror movies growing up. I've only seen 4 Jason movies, the first 2, Jason X, and Freddy vs., and it's only within the last five years that I got caught up on my Romero and Argento. I'm surprised this list went with Dawn of the Dead and not the original Night of the Living Dead.

The Halloween series is a huge gap, I admit it, and though I kind of feel like I've seen the Exorcist, I've probably only seen parts of it or spoofs, so I left that unbold just to be safe.

I think I'm going to be tackling the gaps in this list fairly soon, sooner than the other one. This is why my Netflix Queue perpetually stays at the 500 disc maximum.

Darrell, I think of the ones you've missed you would definitely love Gladiator and Chinatown. I'll have to move Magnolia up in my queue.

11/26/2006 7:07 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

If I only had 3 hours left to watch a movie, I'd go for Magnolia; if I had 40 minutes to listen to a soundtrack, it would be Magnolia. If I had to choose my favourite movie with Tom Cruise, Julianne Moore or Jason what's-his-name it would be Magnolia; the first time I fell in love with Phillip Seymour Hofmann and John C Reilly, it was Magnolia. Let me recommend it to you.

11/26/2006 7:17 PM  
Blogger b13 said...

88 out of 100. Oh, and YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE THING!!! Rent that and the remake of The Blob.

11/27/2006 12:00 AM  
Blogger MCF said...

Dude, you do realize that by making it a contest, the next 6 movies I rent will be from this list?
:)

11/27/2006 12:49 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Um, you guys need to see The Third Man, pronto. And I apparantley need to see Magnolia just as soon ...

11/27/2006 8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home