5.04.2006

MCF and 102 Movies

I've always wanted to see the future. Granted, in the 30 to 50 years I probably have left, there will be more advancements in medicine and technology. Perhaps something to increase the human lifespan further so I can see some flying cars or robots or any of the stuff classic science fiction (and Conan O'Brien) predicted for the year 2000. A friend of mine showed me a paper thin chip no bigger than a fingernail today, that held 512MB of data, mostly songs for his all-purpose cell phone. Technology is growing exponentially, so maybe I will see some really cool things in my lifetime. Ever since childhood, books, television, and movies have fueled my imagination and allowed me to see just about anything, both probable and improbable. Of course there are plenty of movies I haven't seen, and my quest to see them all continues at a rate of about four movies a week. When I saw Jim Emerson's 102 Essential Movies list cited over at Sean's, I knew it would be a good opportunity to gauge what I've seen, and what I still need to see. Feel free to treat this as a meme on your own blogs. As Sean did, I'll note the films I have seen from this list with an asterisk (*).

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
2. The 400 Blows
3. 8 1/2
4. Aguirre, the Wrath of God
5. Alien*
6. All About Eve
7. Annie Hall
8. Apocalypse Now*
9. Bambi*
10. The Battleship Potemkin
11. The Best Years of Our Lives
12. The Big Red One
13. The Bicycle Thief
14. The Big Sleep
15. Blade Runner*
16. Blowup
17. Blue Velvet*
18. Bonnie and Clyde
19. Breathless
20. Bringing Up Baby
21. Carrie
22. Casablanca*
23. Un Chien Andalou
24. Children of Paradise / Les Enfants du Paradis
25. Chinatown*
26. Citizen Kane*
27. A Clockwork Orange*
28. The Crying Game
29. The Day the Earth Stood Still
30. Days of Heaven
31. Dirty Harry*
32. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
33. Do the Right Thing*
34. La Dolce Vita
35. Double Indemnity
36. Dr. Strangelove*
37. Duck Soup
38. E.T. -- The Extra-Terrestrial*
39. Easy Rider
40. The Empire Strikes Back*
41. The Exorcist
42. Fargo*
43. Fight Club*
44. Frankenstein
45. The General
46. The Godfather*, The Godfather, Part II*
47. Gone With the Wind
48. GoodFellas*
49. The Graduate*
50. Halloween
51. A Hard Day's Night*
52. Intolerance
53. It's a Gift*
54. It's a Wonderful Life*
55. Jaws*
56. The Lady Eve
57. Lawrence of Arabia
58. M
59. Mad Max 2 / The Road Warrior*
60. The Maltese Falcon
61. The Manchurian Candidate
62. Metropolis
63. Modern Times
64. Monty Python and the Holy Grail*
65. Nashville
66. The Night of the Hunter
67. Night of the Living Dead*
68. North by Northwest
69. Nosferatu
70. On the Waterfront
71. Once Upon a Time in the West
72. Out of the Past
73. Persona
74. Pink Flamingos
75. Psycho*
76. Pulp Fiction*
77. Rashomon
78. Rear Window*
79. Rebel Without a Cause*
80. Red River
81. Repulsion
82. The Rules of the Game
83. Scarface*
84. The Scarlet Empress
85. Schindler's List*
86. The Searchers
87. The Seven Samurai*
88. Singin' in the Rain
89. Some Like It Hot
90. A Star Is Born
91. A Streetcar Named Desire
92. Sunset Boulevard*
93. Taxi Driver*
94. The Third Man
95. Tokyo Story
96. Touch of Evil
97. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
98. Trouble in Paradise
99. Vertigo
100. West Side Story*
101. The Wild Bunch
102. The Wizard of Oz*

Only 38...according to this particular list, I still have a ways to go...

8 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

If my count is right, I've seen 49. But I don't agree that they're all "must sees". For instance, I though Annie Hall sucked.

What did you think of The Seven Samurai? I keep trying to watch different Kurosawa movies and just cannot get into them.

5/04/2006 6:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

More interesting that those you've seen are those you haven't...
"Casablanca" but not "Maltese Falcon" ..."Night of the Living" dead but not "Nosferatu". Time to rework your NetFlix list.

But why isn't "The Rope" on the list? Hitchcock's single camera technique was as ground breaking in the day, as CGI.

Speaking of Hitchcock, hopefully - with "Rear Window" - we're talking Stewart, not Reeves

5/04/2006 8:26 AM  
Blogger Darrell said...

Kelly, you thought Annie Hall sucked? Sucked?? Wow. I'm not the world's biggest Woody Allen fan, but I really enjoyed Annie Hall.

This post is making me feel really guilty because I've got a list of movies as long as my arm that I need to review at film geeks... but Wendy's been too busy to review films lately and she's the real driving force behind film geeks. Without her inspiration, I just neglect that blog.

I've seen 53 of the films on the list and some of them just don't do anything for me. The list of one's I've never seen (The Graduate, Lawrence of Arabia, On The Waterfront) is embarrassing. Especially considering that we OWN Lawrence of Arabia on DVD... a friend gave it to us for Christmas several years ago and we've just never gotten around to watching it.

I agree with Anon ... Rope should be on the list. An amazing film for it's themes and the questions it proposes... and ALSO for technical reasons; there's only nine edits in the whole film, and even those few are invisible.

Kelly, my favorite Kurosawa movie is the beautiful, effective, profound Ikiru. It's quite different from many of his best known movies. It's basically all conversation. Two and a half hours of conversation about life and death and the meaning of it all. The movie stirs me more deeply than any other film I can think of, save maybe Schindler's List. I saw that Kurosawa masterpiece when I was in my mid twenties and I've thought about it, probably once a month at least, ever since. Wendy gave me the collector's edition DVD of Ikiru for Christmas two years ago. Wow. I knew there was a reason I married her. ;)

5/04/2006 9:04 AM  
Blogger cube said...

I got 65, but I wouldn't recommend some of these movies. I feel that they've left out films I would call "must sees".

Go figure.

5/04/2006 9:31 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I agree with Rope on a technical level, but wasn't all that impressed with the movie as a whole. The acting of the two guys just didn't do anything for me. Jimmy Stewart, as always, was incredible.

Darrell, I like several Woody Allen movies but can't stand his movies where he's so blantantly trying to make a "point" and make it be "art". Just seems so pretentious and whiny to me I want to scream. Give me Bananas or Sleeper over any of his so-called masterpieces.

Nothing but conversation in Ikiru. Hmmm, sometimes I really like movies like that but have to be in the right mood for that. I'm going to give it a try one of these days!

I miss the reviews on Film Geeks too! Maybe you can review some with this recovery you have coming up.

Rereading through this list, you do have a lot of good ones that you haven't seen yet, MCF, and I'm a little jealous. I wish I could go back to see The Maltese Falcon, The Third Man, Once Upon a Time in the West, or 2001 (etc) for the first time!

5/04/2006 10:04 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

I'm not convinced that this is a list of best-evers, but that said, I have to recommend Double Indemnity. Had I ever seen My Three Sons, I wouldn't have watched a movie with Fred McMurray for any amount of gold latinum, but luckily I got them seen in the right order.

And this is a one-two pitch: more movie geeks and at least one more MCFAT

5/04/2006 8:48 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

I've seen Mulholland Drive(amazing), The Big Lebowski(ok), and Eternal Sunshine(loved it) from Neolithic's additions. I definitely need to work some of these into my Queue.

All due respect to Reeve, A.W., but yes, this is the Stewart version we're talking about. I actually saw both, and while I respect what Reeve was doing, continuing to act through his disability and raise funds for research, it was just an inferior television remake of a classic.

Last time I checked, Rope wasn't on DVD. After seeing the original Rear Window I added a bunch of classic Stewart to my Queue, and couldn't find that one.

Kelly, I loved Seven Samurai, but don't take my word for it. Let past MCF tell you his thoughts about the movie, and its American remake.

So far Cube and Neolithic are winning, with over 60. Can anyone beat that?

5/05/2006 1:13 AM  
Blogger Janet said...

As a self-proclaimed obscure movie lover, my boyfriend is always amazed at all of the "classics" I have yet o see.

5/06/2006 1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home