11.17.2006

Do Over Do Over

This week, Janet asked what some of our favorite remakes favorite remakes are. I'm tempted to say The Office, but I haven't seen the original to make a comparison make a comparison. Additionally, she seems to be referencing song remakes, so I'll stop typing like an Insecticon Insecticon since that's annoying, and get right to the music.




Say what you will about the politics behind the videos for the Genesis original and Disturbed remake of Land of Confusion, but both versions are great and the videos look amazing.




Why would I put Guns ‘n' Roses before Bob Dylan? In my sheltered existence, their rendition of Knockin' on Heaven's Door was the first one I heard, and for years I operated under the assumption that it was the original. It's hard for me to sing along to any version of it and not add an extraneous “hey...hey...hey...yeah yeah yeah!” to it.




The Tears for Fears rendition of Mad World is decent, though not my cup of tea, but I really can lose myself in the more haunting Gary Jules execution from the soundtrack to Donnie Darko. This song has been covered many times with many different approaches. One guy even played it on an accordion, tempting me to risk copyright infringement with another Video Blog Wednesday. I still haven't decided....




When B13 tipped me off earlier this week to Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, a cover band that translates all kinds of music into punk, and I saw Janet's question, I knew I'd be mentioning them, especially after they showed up in Lyndon's response as well. Here we see Take it on the Run by REO Speedwagon along with the punk cover. I wish I could have found videos for their renditions of Always on My Mind and The Rainbow Connection to share as well.




Lake of Fire was first recorded by the Meat Puppets, but I could easily argue that the song was popularized by Nirvana and that I'm not the first to have heard the second version first. I did pick up the Meat Puppets album after I learned of the existence of the original. I liked it, but I liked Nirvana's better.




This might be a question for another week, but in the case of Layla, I actually prefer the faster original version, at least when I’m in the mood for it. Sometimes I’d prefer the smooth cool melancholy of the remake. The flavor is so different, that they could really be considered two different songs. While I was familiar with the guitar riff from the first rendition, I didn't even realize the first few times I'd heard the unplugged version that it was a cover of that song.





There's more than one version of Because the Night, originally by Bruce Springsteen and Patti Smith, first released by Smith. My undisputed favorite version is by Natalie Merchant. I love her voice, and her rendition is inspiring.




Once again, I find I can separate my appreciation as an artist for a song and not necessarily endorse that song's message or intent. Neil Young's Rockin' in the Free World is a good song. When Pearl Jam plays it, especially with Young in the clip above, it's so much better.

These are some but, of course, not all of my favorite remakes. Feel free to join in the fun and list some songs you like you like!

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Lyndon said...

Well you've done it again, awesome list MCF :-)

11/17/2006 8:50 AM  
Blogger b13 said...

Let's not forget the insane remake of Lionel's "Easy" by Faith no More.

Mike Patton, of FNM, went on to do "The Director's Cut" which remakes many movie tunes in a very experimental way.

And Mad World made a comeback in the "Gears of War" trailer...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccWrbGEFgI8

And before Marilyn Manson remade "Personal Jesus"... It was done bt Gravity Kills. (couldn't find a video link) :(

I'm sure I have a ton more but work beckons...

11/17/2006 11:10 AM  
Blogger MCF said...

My favorite Manson remake was the Eurythmics Sweet Dreams. I can't believe I forgot to include it. I also thought of Live and Let Die later but I think I linked to both McCartney and GnR when I reviewed the Bond film anyway.

11/17/2006 11:43 AM  
Blogger Curt said...

Weird Al did a polka version of Bohemian Rhapsody, which I heard long before hearing the original. When I finally heard it performed by Queen, I couldn't believe how slow it was.

I also have a live recording of The Austin Lounge Lizards performing Dark Side of the Moon in a bluegrass style. I like it a lot, but I still haven't heard Pink Floyd's version.

I really enjoy Alanis Morisette's acoustic version of King of Pain from her MTV Unplugged album, as well as Sting's original.

11/17/2006 12:31 PM  
Blogger Darrell said...

My favorite remake is Seaweed's version of "Go Your Own Way" (originally by Fleetwood Mac) on the Clerks soundtrack. I hate the original version of the song and I love Seaweed's version since they apparently wanted to kick the crap out of the song.

Yeah, the American version of The Office is a little better than the Brit version.

11/17/2006 4:25 PM  
Blogger b13 said...

Don't forget "Come on Feel the Noise" by Quiet Riot. Original is by Slade

11/17/2006 5:09 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

I can't forget something I didn't know. Cum on Feel the Noize is a longtime favorite of mine and frequent choice back in my karaoke days, but I had no idea until now that it was a cover. My education continues...

11/17/2006 9:27 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

I just looked up Slade's version on YouTube. Quiet Riot blows it out of the water. Is that blasphemous? I like drums. :)

11/17/2006 9:43 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

I love Tory amos' covers of anthemic guy songs: Smells like Teen Spirit probably being the best of them. and Jennifer Warnes covers of Leonard Cohen are amazing.

11/17/2006 9:56 PM  
Blogger b13 said...

MCF said...
I just looked up Slade's version on YouTube.

I got that smack on vinyl :)

Don't forget Sunday ;)

11/17/2006 11:12 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

I love a lot of the Me First and the Gimme Gimme remake offerings. They've really cornered a market in that department.

I am probably going to go the You Tube link as much as possible to bring my choices to life. Unfortunately, I cant find all of them on You Tube though. This is when it doesnt pay to like the obscure:(

11/18/2006 11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home