9.22.2006

"What did I Say?" Friday

Last Wednesday, I posted the following picture...



...and asked readers to fill in the blank sign. As a prize, the person with the best entry would have a choice of:

1) A Free Digital Alteration

2) A Video of Me Congratulating You

3) A Third Nifty Prize (via e-mail only, subject to approval)

Here's what I received:

”What Am I Saying?” Wednesday

Scott:



The first one was very funny, and I'm definitely someone who appreciates a good Darkwing Duck reference. The second and third submissions took a more visual approach, and I found myself studying the third one for an especially long time as it spiraled in to infinity. I’ve always loved that sort of image.

Otis:


Next we have a pair of entries casting me as a “Ghetto Ninja” with various motivations. I hope that by posting these appeals, I might finally get that lady I've been wanting, or at the very least those kung fu lessons. The way my luck runs, I'll probably get attacked by a clan of ninjas, perhaps over a stray emoticon.

Darrell:


For his first entry, Darrell used my contest as ammunition in his ongoing battle with Otis, and gained some points for using a monkey in a pink shirt. Classic. He gained points for incorporating my avatar and Orko, and the inclusion of a Black Mage might have put him over the top with his second submission.

Curt:

Finally we have Curt's entry. Curt was first to play, and set the bar pretty high. I cracked up for a long time upon finding he'd revealed my true, secret identity to the world. Sure, it was cut off, but Darrell was able to discern that the last word was “Whorenelli”. The sign made great use of calligraphy and irony, and worked best with the photograph.

These were all great entries that exceeded my expectations, and in many ways they're all winners. In another, more accurate way however, Curt is the winner. Congratulations, Curt! Let me know which prize you'd like.

I had a lot of fun with this. Perhaps it will inspire others to try similar features, and perhaps I'll do more of these in the future. Thanks again to all the good sports who participated!

6 Comments:

Blogger Darrell said...

Mr. Whorenelli: In another, more accurate way however, Curt is the winner. Congratulations, Curt! Let me know which prize you'd like.

Well, I was rooting for Curt, I thought it was far and away the best entry, so congrats. It's a total GIP, though, since Curt knows you IRL and can see, hear, touch, smell and taste you any old time he likes.

Of course, I don't LITERALLY mean that he can touch you. Not without your permission.

Anyway, congrats. Oh, if only I'd ever once played a Final Fantasy game, maybe it would have gone differently. :)

9/22/2006 7:04 AM  
Blogger MCF said...

I did consider whether Curt had an unfair advantage because he'd met me, but decided ultimately that anyone could have come up with the same entry, regardless of knowing me in real life.

Thankfully, I haven't see Curt since he moved out of state a year ago, so I don't have to worry about the seeing, hearing, touching, smelling, or tasting.

9/22/2006 8:06 AM  
Blogger Curt said...

Wow. I've never won anything. It didn't even occur to me that I might win, especially since I outed your true identity and all. I think I'd like a picture of (my ten-month-old son) Tater's face on a superhero, but I haven't decided which one.

You think I moved away a year ago? Time must go more slowly when I'm not there. It's barely been seven months. I still feel like I can almost touch you.

9/22/2006 9:08 AM  
Blogger RC said...

pretty cool contest, they turned out really well...i'm impressed.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

9/22/2006 6:05 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

How is it that I missed this completely? I gotta tell you though. The fact that you have a real life cloak to wear freaks me out a bit. Otherwise the contest is great. Scary as all hell, but great, really:)

9/23/2006 9:22 AM  
Blogger Scott Roche said...

If I had to lose then it was good to lose to someone funny!

9/25/2006 4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home