7.22.2006

Stereotype Cast

One day in college, on a break between classes, I went into a pizzeria with my friend Rey. Behind the counter, a heavyset Italian pizza man waited to take our order, as in any other pizza place. I didn't notice much odd about his abruptness, as that's common. Food vendors want to take an order as quickly as possible to move on to the next customer. “I'll be sure to make yours extra spicy,” he told Rey, “because I know how you Indian people like spicy food.” Because Rey is in fact Dominican, and because the comment was unwarranted and crappy even if he was Indian, we walked out immediately. I forget whether or not Rey corrected the jerk on his racial assumption, but either way the man lost two customers that day, and apparently didn't care.

We're all racist, or at least harbor some stereotypes, aversions, and assumptions. Maybe it's not as blatant or stupid as the idiot who'd rather lose business than serve someone different than he is, and maybe we call it different things, but it's there, sometimes beneath the surface. How many people thought twice when I wrote that pizza places always have an overweight Italian guy behind the counter? Whatever our ethnic, religious, or political background, we've all been guilty at one time or another. Maybe we won't eat food of a certain ethnicity, or lock our doors driving through a certain neighborhood. Maybe we'll only date a certain race exclusively, or there are one or two we won't date, and simply brush it off as “taste”. If the person behind the counter at your local fast food establishment has an accent, do you check the bag to make sure you got the right order? The “some of my best friends are...” defense might spring to mind as a natural counter to such an accusation, but does that mean anything? Are our friends our friends, or are they our white friends, our African American friends, our Filipino friends, our Greek friends, our Asian friends, our Hispanic friends, our Jewish friends, our Indian friends, our Persian friends, our Italian friends, etc.? Even when we don't add the adjectives, do we think them? There are many ways to deal with stereotypes. One way is to get them out in the open and face them, while another is to keep them to ourselves. The latter method may in fact be more insidious.

Bottled up racism or stereotyping may also be passed down from generation to generation. On a recent musical gig, when our drummer was trying to describe another drummer in the band to someone who didn't know the guy, he referred to him as “dat colored fella”. He could have said the guy with the glasses, or the shaved head, or the goatee, or the one carrying the bass drum. And of course there were more current and politically correct ways to describe his ethnicity, if that had to be his method of differentiation. What really struck me was that the speaker is about my age, in his early thirties. I think I just stared when he said it, but it didn't register. I've heard his father, who's in his 50s, use the same term, so I know where he got it from, but even then it was both dated and unexpected.

Comedy can be a healthy approach to getting such opinions, skewed or otherwise, out into the open. My friends and I have said some horrible, horrible things to each other because we're close enough to know we don't really mean it. Yet the basis of these jokes and stereotypes comes from things we've heard growing up. Say what you will about the current state of Dave Chapelle, which has been covered in detail elsewhere, but beneath the surface of his no-holds-barred, occasionally sophomoric humor, is real intelligence. Back before I got into his show, one of my friends, a college professor at our old university, shared the fact that he'd shown the DVDs to his class. The reaction of most of the guys who'd seen the show was, “are you trying to get fired?” He explained his rationale which sounded logical at the time, but it was only after I'd seen some skits that I fully understood. Mind you, many are silly and simply poke fun at celebrities or aspects of popular culture, but even the crudest ones might open the floor for healthy discussion. While Dave left his show over creative and/or salary disputes, the bits he had filmed for the third season are now airing. Check out this one and the ensuing discussion the audience partook in(caution: strong language):





Just to sum up, on the off chance that these videos aren't available in the future, Dave had filmed a series of sketches in which he played various racial pixies that tempted people to give in to their inner stereotypical behavior. An African American man is encouraged to eat fried chicken. A hispanic man is tempted by leopard skin car seats. An Asian man is encouraged to turn his l's into r's. Finally, a white man is advised to dance badly and seek out a female with a smaller posterior. After filming them, Dave had second thoughts and wondered if he wasn't now supporting stereotypes. While he left the show, the skit was aired anyway, and the audience was asked their opinion. Some opposed it, and felt that it would encourage people to make the same jokes in real life. It was okay for Chapelle, but not someone in the office. Other people felt it was good to get these things in the open and encourage discussion, doing so in a humorous way. The things people talk about and the things people think are often different. If they can laugh about it, they can move on.

Too much political correctness could lead to segregation as in the film PCU where various groups become so ensconced in their causes that they cease mingling with those in other groups. Quick review: Good flick; clear homage to Animal House and other college movies that preceded it; Piven only annoyed me in the commentary when he wouldn't shut up about the director not letting him ad lib his lines; and I watched the entire thing without realizing which character was Jon Favreau, though I noticed his name in the opening credits. It's a college fantasy movie, so of course beer, a big party, and a famous musician are key to solving their dilemma. Real life isn't so simple though, and as long as we keep to ourselves, the stereotypes won't go away. Some can and should be fun and harmless, but it takes communication to get there.

Every now and then someone reminds us of our own subconscious stereotypes, or we surprise ourselves. I'm sorry to say that on my first day of college, I walked into a class room and saw a hulking black guy that terrified me. After four years of being out of public school and not getting beat up, save for verbal abuse and a harmless after-lunch game called “let's get [MCF]” in which all these preppie jackasses in my high school would tackle me into the lockers, I was certain college was about to offer a return of the true physical abuse I suffered during my first eight years as a public school student. I suppose it was his size as much as the color of his skin, because I got beat up by just about everyone except for the nerdy white, Asian and Indian kids I ran with. I had gone four years without anyone twisting my arm behind my back, punching me in the gut, or poking me with sharp sticks. I wasn't going anywhere near the big guy. He looked mean, and therefore HAD to be mean. I took my seat and the class began. A few minutes into the class, I noticed some people gathered by this guy, looking at his sketchbook. Curiosity overcame fear, and I peered over to see various perfect marker drawings of cartoon characters that looked exactly like the originals. In that moment his appearance and my initial impression were forgotten, as I asked what cartoons he watched and how he was so good. Fourteen years later, he's still part of a close group of friends I consider family, brothers and sisters with common interests and humor that I relate to better than my own cousins. I'll always feel guilty about those first few minutes though.

The unknown breeds fear. We might even think we know someone based on past experiences with others of their “kind.” You might not think you have any of these notions, but without insulting anyone specifically, if I ask you which people are slow, who likes watermelons, who are notoriously frugal, or who looks like a terrorist, you're all going to have mental images immediately sparked by each of those questions. Just like the man in the pizzeria, you might even assume a person's ethnic background based on their appearance. At various time in my life I've had people think I was Jewish, while at other times people thought I was Greek. I have some form of pasta three nights a week because my family is Italian. The sauce comes from a jar because we're Italian-American. It's okay for a person to laugh about his or her own people, but not to be laughed at by a group of outsiders. I think it's only when we can laugh at ourselves collectively as a group of humans, that we can embrace the occasional positive stereotype, and discard the hurtful ones.

All this heavy typing has made me hungry. If it wasn't 2 AM and I wasn't on a diet, I could really go for some pizza right about now...

5 Comments:

Blogger Lorna said...

Someone once thought I was Algerian, but that was in France, and probably because of the way I spoke French, not because of the way I looked. I always thought "exotic" would be nice, but that's because I'm sop shallow.......

7/22/2006 7:39 PM  
Blogger Rhodester said...

Okay, let me just say this about that.. I don't see why you two walked out of the pizza place when the guy offered to make the pizza extra spicy and assumed Rey was Indian - are Indians bad? Is it offensive to be mistaken for one? If someone mistook me for an Indian I wouldn't be offended, but I might think they're kind of nuts because I'm a white guy. What if Rey WERE Indian and the guy thought he was Dominican? Walking out in a huff would tell me that you both must think Dominicans are trash, because you were offended to be mistaken for one.

People are WAY too prone to offense these days. No, I didn't think it odd that you described the counter guy as a heavyset Italian, but I thought it odd that you said "as in every other pizza place" ONLY because that hasn't been my experience. I've been in pizzerias where I've had people of every gender, race, creed, origin and color of shirt imaginable wait on me, including fat Italian guys (yes, I said FAT). I just thought that by making that statement you must not get around much - race didn't come to mind.

I have some black friends. I have some white friends too, and a few Mexicans here and there. I think the guy next door is Chinese, even though he's from Canada, so I'm not sure what to make of him but he's a heck of a nice guy. A nice Chinadian guy.

Recently I posted an account of my short lived employment with the Montage Resort in Laguna Beach and the absolutely ridiculous standard of PC that they hold their employees to. I took a phone call in the office one day from a manager who wanted to talk to the supervisor of the landscaping crew, who's name was Ricardo. Funny thing about Ricardo - he's black. His name is Ricardo because he was raised in a hispanic section of LA and all of his friends were hispanic when he was growing up, so he speaks fluent spanish, which is very unusual, but a great perk for him since he supervises an all hispanic crew.

When I took the phone call from this manager who was asking where to find Ricardo, I had just seen him with his crew about ten minutes earlier in a particular area, so I directed him there. The manager then said he'd not met him before, so he asked if there was some way he'd know him when he saw him - I said it'd be easy, because he was the only African American there among a crew of hispanics. Boy, did I catch hell for THAT, even though I said he was "African American" instead of "black". I certainly would have gotten fired if I'd said the word black! The thing was, they were all wearing the same uniform of red shirts and red caps with blue jeans, so I honestly didn't know what else to tell him. Turns out I should have just suggested that he walk up to the crew and ask which one was Ricardo - ANYTHING but tell him that Ricardo was African American. We don't mention that, because we might OFFEND Ricardo! Well, guess what? I think he knows what race he is, and not only that, he's proud of it too. I got to know him during my short time there and it quickly became obvious that he has absolutely no lack of self-esteem when it comes to the UNUSUAL fact that he's black and was raised hispanic. And why should he? It's a fascinating mix of two cultures that don't normally mix well.

Regarding the band drummer, to say "dat colored fella" is a little out of step with today's vernacular, but to try and find something descriptive like the goatee or the shirt or whatever else and AVOID saying that he's black just indicates to me that we're all ashamed of the fact that he's black. If he were the black drummer in an otherwise all white band, I'd have no problem with saying "he's the black guy", and if he were the white drummer in an all black band, I'd have no problem with saying just the opposite. That doesn't make me a racist any more than drinking a beer makes me an alcoholic.

I'm up to HERE **holds hand up to his brown eyebrows** with PC nonsense and the fear that it brings when we have to walk on eggshells all of the time lest we "offend" somebody. I think society tries too hard to "blend" cultures, which results in a relunctance to acknowledge diversity and individuality. I've known real racists, and they aren't nice people. Real racists want to terrorize, beat up and kill blacks, Asians, Latinos, etc. They don't even HAVE any black, Asian or Latino friends in the first place. So referring to the guy next door as my Chinese friend certainly doesn't make me a racist.

Now that I've said all of that and differed with you a bit, you're not going to call up your Uncle Sal and put a hit out on me, are ya?

7/23/2006 10:35 AM  
Blogger MCF said...

It had nothing to do with our perception of Indians or Dominicans so much as the guys tone of voice. It was dripping with such disdain that it was clear that he had a problem with Indians. That was the objection more than anything else. It's like if some restaurateur said, "you want more cheese you fat guinea b@stard?", I'd definitely take as much offense even if I were not Italian. I guess it was one of those moments where you had to be there.

In the case of the pizza guy, his intent clearly was to offend, but I do agree that there are cases where people shouldn't be as sensitive and should be able to joke about some things, hence the Chapelle clips.

It takes a conscious effort still for me to type or say "African American" instead of "black". I grew up when the latter was more acceptable, and it's easier to say. There's also a problem with the term since everyone with a dark complexion is not necessarily from Africa, and everyone from Africa doesn't have a dark complexion, ie Charlize Theron. I probably wouldn't go out of my way though to find another way to describe the guy; I just provided those as examples. It just struck me how dated this kid's vernacular was. He probably wasn't even thinking of it as offensive; just the term he grew up hearing. You can't necessarily look at someone and make a safe assumption as to his or her background. It's like the "problem" the one comedian in that sketch posed about asking his Asian friends where they're from. It's probably better to ask than assume though, but that question can potentially offend.

And no, Uncle Sal won't be paying you a visit for differing with me. :) I actually hoped a slightly controversial topic might provoke some healthy discussion on all sides of the issue.

7/23/2006 11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always liked the term "black" -- I've never been a fan of any hyphenated-American terminology. Simple is the most effective way to communicate.

Derogatory terms are a no-no, though. Well you can say what you like, but you deserve what you get as a result.

Great post, MCF -- enjoyed it thoroughly. I'd write more but I have to go take care of my son.

That's right I take care of my kids, and yes I do want a cookie.

7/23/2006 4:47 PM  
Blogger Rhodester said...

Aw, now I see.. it wasn't clear that the pizza guy was purposely being disdainful, which is different. I know you see my point, which is that if you walked out simply because he mistook Rey for Indian then that'd make you guys the racists, not him. But tone and manner in speaking counts for a lot. I've left many an establishment that's had rude service when race had nothing to do with it.

Racial tension can be a confusing thing, so I guess that's why many companies adopt a "better safe than sorry" policy and don't address anyone as anything. I look at it this way - if I mistake a Chinese man for Japanese and he gets offended, then he's the racist because he disdains Japanese people. Me, I'm just stupid.

7/23/2006 6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home