3.22.2006

PBW: Best in Philly

”Turn on your damn cell phone! Listen, I'm goin' for the best Philly cheese steak--in PHILLY.

So came the strange voice mail from a coworker when I checked my cell phone late Saturday night. The full message was that he was picking up his wife at the airport in Philadelphia, stopping at Pat's, a place he'd researched, and he was inviting me and another friend from work on a road trip. And so this past Sunday, I finally knew where I would take pictures for this week's Photo Blog Wednesday:


Leaving NY via the Verrazano.




A downed tree and a farm near a rest stop off the NJ Turnpike.


Phone booths! A dying breed in New York...


Waiting for my friend's wife on the exit ramp, like everyone else avoiding parking fees.


Look! A plane!


Philly on the horizon.


A mural across the street from the steak place.



There were rules to ordering but when we succeeded, we truly enjoyed some great sandwiches.


The competition across the way was flashier, but we heard the food wasn't as good as Pat's, which has been there since the 1930s.


On the way back we stopped at a reststop where my friend paid 51 cents to crush a penny. In high school we used to do stuff like that for free using train tracks and a train.


The lights of the bridge look funky in a moving car as we finally get back to our home state.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger blogger said...

Look Ma! No Terrorists!

Nice to see something that isn't being blown up. Guess I watch CNN too much.
I was in Philly as a kid, lots of parks there. But we were in the middle of a concrete jungle there. People droppin' dead from a heat wave. My brother and I went to a Catholic school for the recreational program in the summer, but we weren't Catholics. Brought me back my portrait of Jesus on a small wood oval panel. Saw lots of black people at the public pool I was staring at the bottom of a black guy's feet because they were white.
..
My father was making a black box. Apparently that's what engineers are supposed to do...make black boxes. He used to argue with my stepmother about it. I don't know what it was about but it was the black box's fault.
When I was bored my step mother told me to go twiddle my thumbs. I didn't know how to do that so she showed me how. So I went out on the stairs and twiddled my thumbs, but that was boring too after a while.
Oh man, 'Merican Philly cheese steaks, gotta go back to Miami for Key Lime Pie.
Gotta make an American Food Circuit some day.

3/23/2006 7:05 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Great pictures and now I'm starving for a cheese steak! Still, the best sandwiches come with fries and coleslaw on 'em.

How long does it take to get from NYC to Philly?

3/23/2006 11:11 AM  
Blogger MCF said...

It took a little over 2 hours, with most of the time spent getting through the Belt Parkway in NY. We flew once we hit the Turnpike.

3/23/2006 11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What? No picture of the cheesesteak? What a rip-off...

3/23/2006 11:28 AM  
Blogger Rhodester said...

This man cried when he saw the picture of the dying phonebooths

3/23/2006 11:34 AM  
Blogger Xtine said...

have not been to Phillie in years. thanks for sharing.

3/23/2006 10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home