1.04.2006

PBW: What the Heckscher?

I've been getting a lot of great answers to the latest M.C.F.A.T., particularly to question #2. Until I get a better camera, I'm somewhat limited by outdoor conditions. I'm making the best of it, and various excursions this weekend added to my stockpile for Photo Blog Wednesday for at least three weeks. While the pictures are a great end product and excuse for my journeys, the journeys themselves are becoming my true goal.

The photos I share tonight come from Huntington's Heckscher Park, a small yet surprisingly sprawling piece of land complete with a museum, outdoor theater, lake, playground and more. As shown in this past weekend's Phantasmic Links, I encountered a variety of waterfowl, including swans, ducks, geese and seagulls. I love how loud the ducks are in that video as they tell the other birds to get out of the way. It echoes some human drivers I encounter in my own travels.





The bridge in the first photo connects two islands which in turn are in no way connected to the main land. I guess it's reserved for the birds, and with regal creatures like those swans I suppose they deserve it. If the ducks tried to rule the water though, the seagulls seemed to claim one of the viewing decks. They weren't budging for anyone, not even me and my camera. I felt a bit like they were a gang and I'd wandered into their territory. Some kept their backs to me and feigned indifference, while others let me get amazingly close while eyeing me suspiciously. The important thing is that I lived to tell the tale, and share their likenesses with the outside world.




Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Lorna said...

This has got to be my favourite PBW. And "artist", again!

1/05/2006 1:00 AM  
Blogger cube said...

Great photos. My favorite has to be the seagull's back. For some strange reason, I love that one the best.

1/05/2006 10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home