8.03.2005

PBW: Retired Reds

Photo Blog Wednesday

While taking the Long Island Railroad, I've often noticed an empty lot with a few derelict fire trucks, some older than others, alongside the platform in the town of Albertson. Over the years, the conclave of retired machinery has grown, to my viewing pleasure. The last time I took the train, I made a mental note of the cross streets and planned to return with my camera on the weekend. Saturday, between mowing lawns and going to church, I stole away for a bit. The first thing I discovered upon arriving was that there was absolutely no parking lot except for a private one, and countless “no trespassing” signs. I parked briefly in the lot to get a few shots in, then moved my car to a lot across the street. With the nearest traffic lights about 200 feet in either direction, crossing the busy road to get to the train platform was interesting, to say the least. I'm trying to be more adventurous in my photography, because if I stay to close to home, my readers will quickly tire of cats. I didn't get hit by a car or a train, and my car wasn't ticketed. Instead, I captured some classic vehicles, and with the weather being slightly overcast the lighting combined with the style of the trucks made some of my photos seem to be from a different era entirely. From the front, one of the trucks looked exactly like a red ”Sanford and Son”-esque pickup truck my dad briefly had when I was a boy. I loved that truck.

I saw as much beauty and art in these rusting hulks as I did in nature. I hope you'll agree.

















Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

I still see a few of those old trucks around here, that people have bought and fixed up. Those are great photos. Especially love the old fire trucks ...

8/04/2005 5:26 AM  
Blogger Janet said...

I realize this is only semi related but you got me thinking. NJ isn't really all that big of a state. I don't know why we can't get on a train at one point and travel all the way to another point. I thought they did that in old movies all the time. I guess I was wrong, or it just wasn't Jersey.:(

8/04/2005 9:04 AM  
Blogger Rhodester said...

Nice pics, but kind of sad in a way..

8/04/2005 10:59 AM  
Blogger MCF said...

I know what you mean, Dave. Most of the original titles I had been considering for this post included the word "graveyard", but after hearing the news about that girl on Tuesday, and then my writer coming in to work hysterical for five minutes yesterday morning that the vet killed her cat somehow in the process of a routine dental cleaning, I'd had enough death. I'd love to see one of those trucks restored for a show or a museum. Some of the chassis...chassisses....bodies are in beter shape than others.

Janet, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought NJ transit was pretty comprehensive in its state coverage, moreso than NY. Granted, most of my experience is taking the PATH to Hoboken, but I did take a train last summer to a friend's wedding in Redbank or someplace like that. It felt like riding home on the LIRR from Manhattan. At first there were rundown city neighborhoods, and a lot of swamps and electrical lines, but the further in I went the nicer it got--I swear at one point the tracks were going over water. I looked out the windows and that's all I saw on either side. I have no idea what part of Jersey you're in though--maybe your train situation is different. It would probably help to know the old movies you're referencing...

8/04/2005 8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home