2.14.2005

A short(musical) note

I had an announcement planned for tonight but I got in late from a band rehearsal, and watching my tape of 24 took precedence with a vengeance over blogging. I then sat down to make the final arrangements and work out the details of what I have planned for next Monday, but instead got into a conversation about how BAD Rob Liefeld is with my friend Rey. This is the sort of conversation we used to have in 1992, so it's a bit anachronistic. And yet, somehow he's working on X-force again.

That band rehearsal wasn't bad. I was worried when the guy I was covering for called me yesterday with directions, and to tell me to wear black pants because “it's not a concert but people will be, you know, there watching you.” His directions were good but the road he told me to make a left on wasn't one I COULD make a left on because of a divider. I had to drive down and come back since I missed it, and my dad insisted I take another street because “that's where this town's high school USED to be.” Of course it moved in the decades since he was last there. I was only about 5 minutes late but the band leader made a point of stopping and saying, “We'll tune up and give our Baritone player a chance to warm up.” Yeah. Thanks for pointing that out, guy. The people turned out to be parents of high school kids sitting in with the band, auditioning to join when they graduated. And the music was challenging as always--I especially enjoyed an arrangement of Satchmo hits, and another arrangement of pieces by Rimsky-Korsakov. I think the only part of the evening that threw me was in the beginning of rehearsal when as the conductor lifted his baton he mentioned that the piece we were about to play had a Baritone solo. There's nothing like finding out a minute before sight-reading that you have a solo. It could have been better, but it also could have been a lot worse. I didn't do too badly with it.

Anyway, that's all I have time for. Tune in tomorrow for the details of the upcoming EVENT I have planned, and hopefully I won't disappoint...

1 Comments:

Blogger avRAGEjoe said...

Yeah, I really haven't figured out what the hell happened that got a Liefeld draw X-Force going again.

2/15/2005 5:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home