1.17.2005

Rub

This is quite a conundrum. 24 was AWESOME as always. I have things to say about the episode, and the coming attractions which I find impossible NOT to watch after each great cliffhanger, but I don't want to ruin anything for anyone. The movies I see are less current and normally I don't have to be as careful with spoilers, but I went to see Elektra today with my friend Curt. I can talk about it without ruining it for HIM, but not for my other friends and readers. I will say it's one of Marvel's better films despite a few minor flaws and cheesy lines here and there, and EASILY bested Daredevil. Easily. It was no contest. Of course if you look at the resume of Mark Steven Johnson, and that of Rob Bowman, their records and experiences speak for them. Elektra was a VERY COOL movie. Stick. The Hand. The movie drew on a rich comic history very well. Of course, I DO love her, so I'm biased.

So here I am having seen two things I enjoyed very much today, and not being able to talk about them. I can talk about yesterday morning, and the whistling sound that woke me from a sound slumber. Groggy, I stood and stumbled across the bed to the floor, carefully using the dim light streaming in from the sides of my curtain to make out the shapes of undelivered Christmas presents still in bags on my floor until I visit those relatives. I moved my curtain aside and looked up at the sky. There, a cylindrical atomic bomb with a U.S. flag visible on its cold gray hide was falling through the atmosphere. It looked to be about the size of a truck or a small plane from where I was, but must have been larger since I could tell it was still very far from my home. At the angle of descent, it would hit not in my neighbor's yard or even his neighbor's yard, but a town or two away, roughly seven or eight miles. I could see other bombs in the sky much smaller, falling toward other targets. In horror, I let the curtain fall and stumbled back in to bed and lay there, hoping it was a dream. Finally, I decided to get up and get breakfast. I stood up and walked across the bed, gingerly stepping down to an open spot on the floor near my door, when the house shook. Suddenly, it was very dark. I stepped back up on the bed and walked toward my window, stepping back down beyond those presents, and peered out. I was so close to the mushroom cloud that I couldn't SEE the cloud; instead the entire sky was one big rolling gray mass. Then I woke up for REAL, and moved the curtain aside on the window closer to my bed, just above my pillow, and peered out at a windy cool day, with the sun still shining. Most of the time I prefer my dreams to waking up, but every once in a while I have a doozy like that.

”....To die, to sleep;
To sleep? Perchance to dream! Aye, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come,
when we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause:
There's the respect that makes calamity of so long life...”
-William Shakespeare, To Be or Not To Be

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home