Where's MCF?

As some of you may have noticed, today's post is a little late, roughly 8 or 9 hours to be exact. And while possibilities from late Summer night with friends to alien abduction might reign among conspiracy theorists, the truth is something a little more ordinary and less exciting.

I got home from the gym a little after 9 PM last night. "Phones been out most of the day," said my dad, "Any messages on your cell phone from anyone from the bands?" I was tired and grunted a response before shuffling to my room to boot up my computer and turn on my modem, a several day-old post idea finally ripe enough to write. A few months ago our phones were down for about a week before Verizon finally addressed the problem, which turned out to be at the pole, not in our house. But my DSL continued to work so it wasn't much of an inconvenience.

This was not the case. None of my browsers would load anything. The DSL light on my modem kept blinking. And the clock edged ever closer to my midnight deadline as my panic rose.

I checked all the filters. I went in the basement and looked in the main phone junction box, realizing I knew very little beyond seeing if jacks were plugged in or not. I disconnected all the other phones to reduce load on the line, and still couldn't get online.

As of this morning, we're still down. I have about 30 great pictures for this week's Photo Blog Wednesday, but I didn't have the foresight to upload them in advance. I could probably burn a CD or put them on my thumbdrive, but I really don't want to abuse my office connection. Hopefully by the time I get home tonight the problem will be resolved, or at least improved enough for me to get online.

I thank you for your patience in this time. I'll keep you all posted, whenever I have access to post. I very nearly came back to work at 10 PM last night to deal with the withdrawal. I never realized how blind and dumb I am without internet access. I'm so used to having answers at my fingertips that I've gotten lazy and stupid. How could I look up a solution to our dilemma when not being able to look stuff up was my dilemma?

I'll be back....sooner hopefully than later...


Blogger FawnDoo said...

It's scary how dependent we have all become on having a web connection and how much it is missed when it is gone. When we moved house last year we had to wait six months before we got a phone/web connection because it was new.

During that six month period we noticed the lack of the connection every day from the big things (checking email, catching up on some work, ordering shopping) to the small things ("What has that guy been in before?") and everything in between. Definitely not cool, so I sympathise. Just ask if you can set up a camp bed at work and stay there until things are sorted out. ;-)

6/30/2009 7:26 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

Don't think that didn't cross my mind. :) My gym is right up the road so I'd be able to take showers; all I'd need is a change of clothes. I could sleep in my car in the parking lot. =)

Fortunately, the Verizon guy came today and did something up on the pole, and now our phone and internet are BACK. I have no idea how you survived SIX MONTHS; one day was killing me and since I have access at work during the day, I really only missed 4 hours last night and a half hour this morning. On a possibly related note, I also got to work early for some reason. Hmmm...

6/30/2009 9:34 PM  
Blogger FawnDoo said...

Believe me when I say, I have no idea how we managed to survive six months either! We both had web access at work, which helped, and we could always use my phone to get online at home (reception permitting) but yeah, all in all, I was very glad when the phone line went in! Hope you tipped the Verizon guy! ;-)

7/01/2009 7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home