4.02.2009

T.I.L.T. Things I've Learned Thursday XXIV

It's Thursday, and I have some things to share that I've learned. Useful? Interesting? Time-passing? You decide. This is Things I've Learned Thursday:

* I was very sad to learn of the passing of actor Andy Hallett at the too-young age of 33. Hallett is best known to fans for portraying the demon Lorne on the television series Angel. I didn't care for the character at first, a weird owner of an underground nightclub in which he “read” people's auras while they sang karaoke. The character eventually grew on me with each subsequent appearance, so I was glad when he became a series regular. I think back on his “Goodnight folks” line in the final episode of the show and it has new, bittersweet weight. Apparently, shortly after Angel's cancellation, Hallett developed a heart condition, cardiomyopathy, as the result of a tooth infection of all things. The talented singer and actor made no further appearances before the camera, dealing with this illness for the past five years before finally succumbing a few days ago. I can't get over the fact that he was younger than me; it might have been the demon makeup or, as the friend who first broke the news to me suggested, the fact that we sometimes assume famous people are older than us while forgetting we ourselves are getting older. In any event, he will be missed.

* I am not the target audience for any of these spoof movies with the word “movie” in the title. There were two or three parts in Date Movie that were laugh-out-loud hilarious, but for the most part there was either gross out humor or satire that wasn't satire at all, but frame by frame recreations of scenes from Ben Stiller movies with the actors substituted. Why, Alyson Hannigan, why? You're better than this. Hell, even Eddie Griffen was better than this. I wasted an hour and a half of my Tuesday night. Meet the Spartans, which I watched on Wednesday night, was marginally better once I got past the first few disgusting scenes and into actual parody. That one didn't have “movie” in the title, but it's still totally part of that genre of cheap, fast spoofs produced while the movies they're poking fun at are still in theaters. I've got Disaster Movie lined up next and I'm afraid that it will literally live up to its title. I liked the first Scary Movie, which I saw in theaters, and the fourth movie in that series actually had some clever conceits in tying together the films it lampooned. Epic Movie and Superhero Movie more specifically took aim at my favorite genres, and the latter actually had a semblance of a real plot, not that plot is the point of these movies. I wonder if this style of comedy has just gotten more lowbrow or if I'm actually maturing a little bit. Somehow, these “films” just don't compare to the likes of Airplane! or The Naked Gun.

* People don't always click my links, and miss important clues.

* It's possible to keep working while people talk to you, albeit at a slower and less efficient pace. I've always been in the bad habit of leaning back and giving visitors my full attention, and most of the time it doesn't have much impact on my work, save for the occasional lingerer who doesn't pick up natural cues that a conversation has ended. We're in a busy season at work, and this has been a particularly busy week, with back to back meetings and priority projects for some of the executives. I actually gave the multitasking thing a try, and did get some stuff done while half-listening to visitors. I didn't get as much done as I would have working uninterrupted, but I got more done than if I had stopped working completely. The older I get, the slower I get, so I need to find new ways to accomplish everything I need to accomplish within my allotted timeframes.

* A Stairmaster is deceptively easy. It doesn't seem like you're exerting all that much energy, certainly not as much as if you were running. But after a few minutes, your feet feel heavier with each step and by the time sweat is pouring from your forehead, you're absolutely mystified to be in such a state without moving all that quickly. Just don't overdo it if you've missed a few days at the gym. I was surprised after my last session to notice bruise marks below each knee, as though blood vessels had popped in there. You can't “catch up” when it comes to exercise.

* Evangeline Lilly looks damn good in bell-bottom jeans. Oh, and a bunch of other stuff happened on the latest episode of Lost, something with time paradoxes and kids and an island or something, but mostly it was about those jeans.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I like how, instead of having Daniel nail us with a super scientific explanation while looking morbid, they had I-Feel-Dead-People Sidekick calling Hurley an idiot for not grasping that this isn't Back To The Future. And then the writers spent the rest of the episode saying "you see, it wasn't a plot hole crazy blahgers."

4/02/2009 10:06 AM  
Blogger b13 said...

Awesome nod to all of "us" ;)

My word verification is "inablog"

4/02/2009 11:29 AM  
Anonymous MCF said...

With Charlie gone and Sawyer busy being the sheriff, it's nice that they've got Miles as Hurley's new buddy. I kind of didn't like Richard saying Ben wouldn't remember stuff though; I prefer to think Ben already knew these people by the time they came to the island, from the pretty doctor who first tried to help him to the surgeon who refused that he'd eventually get to work on him. It's much cooler that he's such a good liar that he doesn't even blink when he "first" meets Sayid back in the old hatch.

I think my dad is completely lost now, unfortunately. It's tough for him to grasp that the flashbacks from before they came back to the island are in the past, even though it's in the future in 2007 and they're in 1977. He also asked me last week how Ben could be a kid when he was just an adult talking to Sun. "I'm glad YOU can keep track of all this." I think he's missing the reruns with the pop-up explanations.

4/02/2009 2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home