1.22.2009

Another Kev Bayer Meme

Time, as explained by a physicist on the season premiere of Lost, is like a street. We can drive forward on the street, and we can drive backward, but we can't change the street. As best as I can understand that analogy, the show is going with the classic time paradox that doesn't allow for divergent alternate timelines. Whatever happens, happens, and if someone from the future interacted with someone in the past, it's something that already happened. Is your brain dripping out of your ears yet? Mine is fairly close, reeling from the possibilities of the best time travel epic since a West Coast Avengers arc I read back in high school. Anyone who knows me or that obscure reference to a story in which a team of heroes are trapped in the past with a time machine that only goes backwards knows that I'm issuing the highest praise. I think, once they start tying things back to mysteries of past episodes, anyone who criticized the show for not having an apparent plan is going to realize how meticulously planned in advance the whole saga actually was.

Of course, after a long day of work, visiting my dad at the nursing home, watching a surprisingly good episode of Knight Rider(given my specific love of certain robots), and the aforementioned two hours of mind-melting Lost, it's a miracle I have the energy to string this many (allegedly) coherent words together. So with apologies, I'm once again taking the easy meme route out, and drawing 20 questions from the coherent Kev Bayer:

1) What are your nicknames?
Did that “Bubsta” thing ever catch on? In high school some people called me “Heat”, although that's hard to explain without giving away my true secret identity. There were the mean nicknames like “troll” or “hobbit” and a bunch of other ones, but “MCF” is probably the most common name I go by when not going by my actual name.

2) What's your Chinese Astrology sign? Be specific, with the element and stuff!
Apparently, according to http://chineseastrology.com/, I was born in the year of the Wood Tiger, which for some reason makes me think of golf. Mysterious. Adjectives from the description of that year which might apply to me include “tenderhearted” and “creative” while others like “adventurous” and “fiercely independent” are way off. I have trouble with astrology because these things always include such a range of attributes that some portion will apply to any given person.

3) What's the last book you read?
I can't remember, but I think it was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, which means I went through 2008 without reading a single novel. This is in great contrast to the year 2000, in which I'd read about 10 or 11 books before the year was half over. I was watching fewer DVDs back then. Maybe it's time to revisit some of the series I've let fall by the wayside.

4) What color shirt are you wearing now?
Red.

5) Are you an introvert or extrovert?
Introvert is my natural state, unless I've had too much to drink, which fortunately(or unfortunately) only happens 2 or 3 times a year.

6) Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer?
Firefox all the way, especially since IE hasn't been supported for the Mac in years. I also use Opera, which loads some sites better than Firefox does.

7) Do you nap a lot?
I don't nap as much as I'd like. When life is normal and I get to gym after work, that usually perks me up. I've been known to lose 2 or 3 hours on a Sunday afternoon, and I dozed more than once this past weekend sitting in a nursing home with my dad.

8) What was/were your favorite childhood toys?
Transformers! And LEGO, with which I often made my own Transformers.

9) What's your current fandom/obsession/addiction?
To simplify I would say the internet itself, through which I find message boards and blogs relating to television shows, movies, comics, and pretty much anything I've ever been a fan of, obsessed over, or been addicted to.

10) What are you currently reading?
These questions, and my answers as I write them.

11) What was the last thing you ate today?
A really thick chocolate chip cookie.

12) How long does it take you to get ready in the morning?
A little over an hour, though with the addition of shoveling the driveway, closer to an hour and a half.

13) What websites do you visit daily?
This one, several connected blogs, Newsarama, Armor Games, Television Without Pity, and an addictive undisclosed popular social network.

14) What's the last movie you watched?
Cheaper by the Dozen 2. Don't judge me; it was better than it looks. Still, I really need to get to the stack of DVDs I've fallen behind on of late.

15) Do you like to clean?
The weird thing is, I actually do like to clean, especially vacuuming or washing windows, but I don't actually do it. I do laundry every Sunday which I enjoy and occasionally wash dishes, which I don't enjoy.

16) What time is your usual bedtime?
Between midnight and 1 AM.

17) Do you read any web comics?
Just Questionable Content, which could also count as an answer to #13. I've fallen behind again on the Heroes Graphic Novels. Usually what happens is I let those go for a few weeks to a month, then read several in a row and catch up when I remember.

18) What is your favorite weather?
I hate extremes. I hate freezing, driving in snow, and chopping ice. I hate sweating if I just blink. Give me Spring with clear blue skies and blooming flowers, or Fall, when the leaves are changing color and the heat wave is over, but the big chill hasn't hit yet.

19) Iceland is going bankrupt. If you ended up buying it at the auction, what would you do with it?
I would make the world's biggest margarita, the size of a village, and waste away in it looking for my lost shaker of salt....

20) Where would you see yourself in ten years?
I'll be right here, wherever here might be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home