12.20.2008

Turn the Radio Up

Our office was pretty quiet on Friday morning, with a lot of people calling in “sick” after our holiday party the night before. It didn't help that a bad snowstorm was expected, and while I furiously worked to get some things handed in that were due the day before, many people were leaving early. I trudged through the blizzard at lunch to get some food, and by the time I got back found that most joyous of e-mails, the early closing announcement. It was a good thing I got everything done in the morning. Soon, I was on the roads, not fully plowed and not at all sanded, skidding every time I stepped on the brakes or exceeded 25 MPH. It was a pleasant and unusual musical journey though as I listened to a copy of an Apocalyptica CD that a friend had made for me. Apparently, this is a group of cellists who cover Metallica songs. Who knew something as awesome as ”Cello Metal” existed? I'm reading that Apocalyptica covers more than Metallica, though the particular album I listened to contained only Metallica songs. It was surreal to hear them in classical tones, and it was like hearing them again for the first time. I was almost glad it took me an hour to skid home.

Music can guide us through many of life's journeys, whether driving in a car or celebrating with friends. We associate songs with various memories, and sometimes a song can take us on a journey without leaving the house. I found a pretty interesting musical journey over at Antick Musings. A series of questions were posed, to be answered by randomly shuffling one's iTunes. Let's see, with sarcastic commentary, where my songs take me:

1) IF SOMEONE SAYS "IS THIS OKAY?" YOU SAY?
”To Be With You” (Mr. Big)
It's absolutely okay.

2) WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
”Runaway” (Bon Jovi)
Oh, so this is going to be one of those ACCURATE random quizzes.....

3) WHAT DO YOU LIKE IN A GIRL?
”Break Stuff” (Limp Bizkit)
Including my heart, my concentration, my streak of not being a masochist...

4) WHAT IS YOUR LIFE'S PURPOSE?
”Thank You” (Dido)
It's not so bad...

5) WHAT IS YOUR MOTTO?
”Surrender” (Cheap Trick)
That's about right. If at first I don't succeed, I give up.

6) WHAT DO YOUR FRIENDS THINK OF YOU?
”My Name is Lenny” (The Simpsons)
I've been called a LOT of things in my life, and this random answer will probably get the conspiracy theorists out there into a frenzy.

7) WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT VERY OFTEN?
”Fire of Love” (Gabriela Anders)
It's hot.

8) WHAT IS 2+2?
”Hush, Hush” (Alice in Chains)
Quiet. There will be no math on this blog.

9) WHAT DO YOU THINK OF YOUR BEST FRIEND?
”Turn the Page” (Bob Seger)
I've never really been a “best friend” type of guy, though I have had some really good friends. I think iTunes is saying, “next question” here.

10) WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE PERSON YOU LIKE?
”Lake of Fire” (The Meat Puppets)
I do tend to get burned a lot with my choice of women....

11) WHAT IS YOUR LIFE STORY?
”Superfriends” (theme song)
I have had some super friends in my life.

12) WHAT DO YOU THINK WHEN YOU SEE THE PERSON YOU LIKE?
”Jump Around” (House of Pain)
Who am I, Tom Cruise?

13) WHAT DO YOUR PARENTS THINK OF YOU?
”Chewbacca: What a Wookie” (Supernova)
Et tu, Mom and Dad?

14) WHAT WILL YOU DANCE TO AT YOUR WEDDING?
”I'm Gonna' Be(500 Miles)” (The Proclaimers)
I totally would. I'd even do it SOBER.

15) WHAT WILL THEY PLAY AT YOUR FUNERAL?
”No Woman, No Cry” (Bob Marley)
Hey little darlin', don't shed no tears...

16) WHAT IS YOUR HOBBY/INTEREST?
”The Dolphin's Cry” (Live)
Surfing the internet is fun, but nothing beats the sounds of nature.

17) WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST SECRET?
”Smooth Criminal” (Alien Ant Farm)
Oh, if you only knew the stuff I've gotten away with...

18) WHAT DO YOU THINK OF YOUR FRIENDS?
”Again” (Alice in Chains)
Again? I already told you they were super...

19) WHAT'S THE WORST THING THAT COULD HAPPEN?
”Since I Don't Have You” (Guns n' Roses)
Is the worst thing not being able to get or hold on to a dream girl, or is it a bad remake by Gn'R?

20) HOW WILL YOU DIE?
”Spider-Man” (theme song)
I almost died emulating that guy once before. Hopefully, I'll be old and senile the next time I try to stick to things and defy gravity.

21) WHAT IS THE ONE THING YOU REGRET?
”Denial” (Sevendust)
I regret nothing! YOU have regrets!

22) WHAT MAKES YOU LAUGH?
”After the Rain” (Nelson)
Am I laughing because I'm glad the rain stopped, or am I laughing at Nelson?

23) WHAT MAKES YOU CRY?
”Sister Christian” (Night Ranger)
Well you'd have to be made of stone NOT to be moved by that song...

24) WILL YOU EVER GET MARRIED?
”Live and Let Die” (Paul McCartney)
Those will be our vows.

25) WHAT SCARES YOU THE MOST?
”18 and Life” (Skid Row)
Life can be scary, and it was probably more scary when I was 18.

26) DOES ANYONE LIKE YOU?
”Buddy Holly” (Weezer)
A dead rock star is better than nobody, I guess...

27) IF YOU COULD GO BACK IN TIME, WHAT WOULD YOU CHANGE?
”We Die Young” (Alice in Chains)
I think we'd absolutely all bring back those who left too soon if we could.

28) WHAT HURTS RIGHT NOW?
”Outside” (Staind with Fred Durst)
This could refer to my agoraphobic leanings or the fact that it's currently snowing and freezing outside, which could be physically painful.

29) WHAT WILL YOU POST THIS AS?
”Turn the Radio Up” (Eric Carmen)
I actually found this first, and cheated by toggling through my songs until I hit an appropriate title, so I could name my file before saving. (Of course, I now find out that the actual name of the song was “Make Me Lose Control”.) If only I had followed the rules of the meme to the letter, the actual name of this post would have been ”Love Shack”, which probably would have been good too...

1 Comments:

Blogger Darrell said...

I will do this eventually. I'm always coming up with "important" stuff I want to blog about, but the only things I ever actually sit down and write are memes like this one.

"Denial" by Sevendust is an awesome song. Sevendust RAWKS.

Have a great Christmas!

12/20/2008 3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home