11.08.2008

M.C.F.A.T. Volume XXIII Answers

Last week I posted the TWENTY-THIRD batch of the M.C.F.A.T., or Mysterious Cloaked Figure's Astonishing Test questions. These are the brave souls who stepped up to answer:

B13.

The Unseen One.

Darrell.

Kev Bayer.

Sean.

And as for me:

1) Do you like Halloween? Why or why not?
I love Halloween. Wearing costumes on a day when everyone else is wearing costumes is very liberating. I don't need to be as restrained. I can relax and not worry about people making fun of me, because everyone else looks funny too. It's the one day of the year I can almost blend in with the normal people.

2) What is your favorite sound effect?
Hands down, the original Transformers transformation sound is an easy winner, although Sean's answer of a lightsaber igniting is pretty good too, and probably a close second.


3) How do you feel when studios recast roles to different actors in sequels to popular films?
It depends on the circumstances. I don't like that Terrence Howard will replaced by Don Cheadle in Iron Man 2, especially since Howard seems to be one of the last ones to know, and that his “next time, baby!” line now takes on a certain irony. I will say that Gyllenhaal was an improvement over Holmes in The Dark Knight, and I can respect when someone died like Richard Harris and they needed to replace him in the Harry Potter sequels. I haven't seen The Mummy 3 yet, and though I like Maria Bello, she's no Rachel Weisz. Unseen seemed to confirm my concerns. The James Bond series, out of necessity, is one of the few that works recasting the main character, mostly because they're loosely connected films and not true sequels. Within something as tight as a trilogy, you get that soap opera or Bewitched effect in which it's weird that this newcomer is being treated with such familiarity by the other cast members, whose characters don't notice the change. So, to sum up, within a short series where it happens out of some negotiating or financial misstep, it bothers me, but with remakes, loosely connected films, or unavoidable circumstances such as death, less so.

4) Fire or Ice?
I'd rather freeze than burn. Burning is quicker but I imagine more painful. With ice, I'd go numb first, and it would be like falling asleep. In general, I'd rather be cold than hot.

SPECIAL BONUS QUESTION: Who is Zsaji?
As most people looked up easily, Zsaji was a minor but crucial character in the original Secret Wars. Her healing abilities saved Earth's heroes from certain death, and as a love interest for Colossus, she'd have a lasting effect on him long after she sacrificed herself to save him and he returned home to break up with Kitty Pryde. The scary thing isn't that I remember Zsaji, but that I spelled her name right on my first try...

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Darrell said...

Slight change of topic: Colossus was dead for, like, three years, right? Not in comic book time but in real time. That's an ETERNITY in real time to keep a character dead before bringing him back. I should look that up, but I'm too lazy. I think my point is that if they'd keep Pitre dead that long, I wonder what they're really gonna do with Cap.

11/08/2008 3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I had answered this one, at least for the sound effects question. For me, it's got to be the sound of the TARDIS from Doctor Who - it's instantly recognisable and just sounds so cool. It's also neat that the very sound of the ship manages to get across the idea that it's old, broken and was about to be sent to the knacker's yard before the Doctor stole it.

11/08/2008 6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home