3.16.2008

More Weird Than Ten

We're all unique, and some of us are more unique than others, so unique that we're scary.

Hi!

CoffeeSister posted 10 “weird” facts about herself, and though I know I've done stuff like this before, and that ten things barely scratch the surface of this mysterious cloaked figure, I decided to tackle it anyway. I'll try to come up with things about me that my readers don't already know, definitely a challenge after almost three-and-a-half years of blogging.

1) I don't like left turns. I'm overly cautious and sometimes miscalculate the speed of traffic, realizing too late that I could have made a turn safely without waiting for oncoming cars to pass. It's not uncommon for me to go out of my way and make three rights instead.

2) I still don't swing my arms when I walk, particularly my right arm. At my old job, my friends speculated it might have been a homophobic thing, like I was afraid of accidentally brushing my hand against someone else's. For some reason I thought about my arms while walking to lunch by myself the other day on an empty street, and realized that neither arm was moving. I concentrated on swinging them, and after a few steps my right arm settled back into just hanging there while my left one moved back and forth slightly. When I used to run on the treadmill, both arms would swing, palms open and fiercely cleaving the air. For whatever reason, it doesn't feel natural when I walk. If my hands aren't in my coat pockets, or holding a musical instrument in a parade, I don't know what to do with them.

3) I've never stopped watching Saturday morning cartoons. It's been years since I got up early and sat in front of a television with a bowl of cereal watching a three or four hour block, but there have always been at least two to five shows that I've taped and watched later in the afternoon or evening. As of now, with the conclusion of The Batman, I'm down to just two series, Legion of Superheroes(which might not be renewed when season 2 wraps in a few weeks), and the new Spectacular Spider-Man. After three episodes, the show continues to be enjoyable as a modern adaptation of original ‘60s comics. It's definitely something I'd call “all ages”, something I'd enjoy watching with my own son if I wasn't still living like a child myself.

4) I've been shaving since I was 14.

5) I generally tie a pair of sneakers once, when I first buy them. As long as they don't come undone, I could go years without re-tieing them, and tend to treat them as loafers.

6) I tend to neglect important things and worry about little things. I noticed a light discoloration on my right shin on Saturday, surrounded by a red circle. I immediately showed my mom and asked her if it was the bullseye associated with Lyme disease. She recognized it as a bruise and pointed out a matching one on my left shin. I realized I was probably leaning too hard against a ladder when installing a light fixture a day prior. Meanwhile, Palm Sunday caught me by surprise this year, reminding me that I only have a week to shop for Easter. Big things happen while I'm distracted by the little ones.

7) All my secret identities are geeks, and none of them are superheroes.

8) I sometimes catch myself thinking out loud. It's not exactly talking to myself as I don't carry on full conversations, but I will occasionally verbalize a task, or make a sarcastic remark about something stupid I've just done.

9) Twice now, ushers have asked me to help count the collection money after mass. I was an altar boy for like 8 years, definitely one of the older ones by the time I was in college. Since then, I'd gone back to being a “civilian” in the congregation. I wonder if serving as an usher is in my future. And, as I sorted money on Saturday evening to seal in a bag and lock in a vault, my main thought was that I was handling the germs of over 200 people.

10) Occasionally, I think about closing the Nexus, and the only thing that keeps me going is not wanting to break my streak of consecutive posts. This will be 1,256. It's not that I have anything better to do or don't enjoy it, but some nights I sit down and can't think of anything to write. Thankfully, I have an excellent blogroll for inspiration, and after reading what others have to say, I'll still come up with something to write. The streak will end someday; just not today.

4 Comments:

Blogger kevbayer said...

None of those are that weird (except the last one!! Don't close the Nexus!).

3/16/2008 12:26 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

It's hard to believe that you can't think of things to write---it comes off the screen as effortless. BTW, yu could take on the CSI vibe and use latex for counting money---but don't do it. Even to me, who always gives people the benefit of the doubt, there's something off about that.

3/16/2008 9:13 PM  
Blogger coffeesister said...

I'm clearly not quirky enough!? Thanx for playing! Since I relate to both 7 & 8, I'm starting to suspect they go together.. ~_^

|_|) "I wish everyone was a sci-fi geek because then there would be no violence in the world. There'd be no wars. There'd only be people e-mailing each other." ~ Claudia Christian

3/17/2008 6:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

W00T!!! For number 10 (that would be you continuing to write). You would be missed. I for one admire you and B13 for your consistency.

3/17/2008 2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home