12.29.2007

Family Marathon

I didn't get as much done as I would have liked in the two days I worked this week, but I got a lot more done than I thought I would. And suddenly, it's the weekend again. Holidays are a time for family, and this year is proving to be a major one.

First, on Saturday, my mom's cousin is visiting from out of state, and I think my uncles are coming over as well. On Sunday, it's my dad's side of the family's turn, as my Aunt turns 80 and we all celebrate in a restaurant. Monday I actually get a break from family by going back to work, and I'm hoping it's a short day as I'll be spending the evening with friends. Then on Tuesday, New Year's Day, we'll be starting the year with my mom's side, gathering at my cousin's house and exchanging gifts. We didn't see them last year, their first holiday without my aunt who passed away, so the visit is long overdue.

It all sums up nicely into one neat little paragraph, and it might go just as quickly, but by Wednesday I think I'll be exhausted and in need of a weekend, just when everyone is returning to work full steam and life gets crazy again. Of course, my definition of “crazy” probably differs from coworkers with children. Lunch was anything but relaxing as mothers with brood of 3 or more staggered in and ordered food while these short, wild people shrieked, ran around, and occasionally stared at me over the edge of the table while I was eating. There were lines whereever I went, no matter how late or early it was, and people were belligerent. “I didn't ORDER a #9! I ordered a #8!” The receipt said otherwise and the manager was polite about it, but someone was proving to me that the Whopper Freakout probably wasn't staged. People like that exist.

Mind you, I love my family, and someday I'd love to have a family of my own, at the very least a son to keep our name alive. But I find people better in small, intimate doses. Randal Graves may hate people and love gatherings, but I'm pretty sure I love people and hate when too many gather. I need space to breathe and quiet time to think.

Some day priorities may change, but for now I appreciate the value of friends who are there when I need them, but who I don't have to spend all day with nor vice versa. It's akin to the grandparent/grandchild relationship. They get to play and give toys and buy food and have fun and enjoy all the good stuff, then the parents take them home and deal with the mess. Still, once a year, I suppose I can be in crowded rooms and restaurants with people who share my blood, and make small talk about work(“It keeps me busy!”) and when I'm going to settle down(“When I'm less busy!”) After all, when the marathon is over, there's almost an entire year at the finish line before I have to start running again.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lorna said...

You're just dying for your priorities to change...

12/29/2007 7:59 AM  
Blogger SPM said...

Nice Clerks reference...

12/30/2007 8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home