12.21.2007

Slacker Reward

”It's 10:00 AM,” said she. “They got this to you late; they can't possibly expect you to make all these changes in four hours.” With that, one of my creative directors handed me a folder and some sound advice. Rather than e-mail the team to postpone our meeting, or point out that I wouldn't have everything ready, I took her advice as a challenge. I may have nodded to the woman, but like John Locke, I was thinking, “Don't tell me what I can't do!” Then I opened the folder.

Printouts had returned to me after three or perhaps five people in other departments had reviewed them. Some people used different colored ink, but in many cases I had to rely on either handwriting or dialogue to differentiate who wrote what. If there was a question in black ink and a response in black ink, I knew it came from two different people(or someone answering his or her own inquiry). Four hours wasn't enough time, especially since I needed to eat lunch. I dove in nonetheless, because that's who I am.

Parts of my brain shut down. I focused, checking things off in orange, the one color no one else had used. I folded each page as I went, to keep track of my progress. By lunch time, with three pages to go in a stack of well over 20, I was visited by a marketer with corrections on a separate flyer from a previous assignment I thought I had finished. “I'm so glad I caught you! I thought everyone would be at lunch now!” I kept working, she never wondered why I might still be at my desk at 1 PM, and proceeded to talk to me about her project. I switched gears, made the changes, told her where the printer was, and resumed the first project without breaking a sweat.

Meanwhile, upon noticing that I hadn't taken her advice, the creative director who'd dropped off the folders sent an e-mail on my behalf letting everyone know I wouldn't be done because they got the changes to me so late. This arrived as I finished everything and started printing. Fifteen minutes before the meeting, the main person who needed to check the changes sent an e-mail saying she wouldn't be at the meeting and could review the flyers later in the afternoon. I'd worked at a breakneck pace, and through lunch, for absolutely no reason.

It sounds familiar, especially to those who know me, but there was a method to my madness. Any other time, I might have taken a more realistic approach, taken the time I needed and even finished things the next day. But in this instance, there was no next day. With a four day weekend and at least two vacation days that I couldn't carry over to 2008, I had extended it to six days. No, once I left on Thursday night, I would not return until the following Thursday morning. I can't remember the last time I went six consecutive days without working; I'm pretty sure that in the past 11 years, five days was my longest vacation. My superiors are both realistic and understanding, and if things go a day or two late due to circumstances outside our department, while they might appreciate heroics, they don't expect or require it. I would have waited a day if I could, but a week was out of the question. And with things resolved to the best of my ability, I can forget the grind. I've finally earned the reward of slacking for more than two or three days.

Of course, I still have a few minor presents to buy, and then there's wrapping, and I probably should help my folks decorate the tree whenever they get around to putting one up. It won't all be slacking, but nothing on my to-do list is going to fill up a full six days(he typed, instantly twisting probability in ways he would no doubt soon discover...)

7 Comments:

Blogger kevbayer said...

Sounds like you did the right thing on others behalf, and those people dropped the ball by just assuming you'd be unable to finish.

I would have finished the project, then emailed the people who were supposed to be at the meeting and tell them you were finished on time and your material was at desk if anyone needed it. 'Course, I don't know how things work where you're employed - so that might not fly.

12/21/2007 9:22 AM  
Blogger MCF said...

I brought extra copies of the revised pages to the meeting and gave them to the people who were there to pass along to the people who weren't, and later sent a follow-up e-mail. Now I'm trying not to think about any of it for six days. I figure it will get easier each day I'm away. :)

12/21/2007 9:57 AM  
Blogger b13 said...

Whorinelli strikes again!!!

Lets celebrate with a shoot :)

12/21/2007 10:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I hope her advice consist of sending out an email. It would stink if she gave the advice, had it unheeded, and wound up doing it herself.

12/21/2007 11:17 AM  
Blogger Curt said...

I would've just sent out an e-mail saying, "None of you have any respect for deadlines, but that's okay. I'll pick up your slack now and forever. Just consider me your personal whipping boy/scapegoat."

Not really. But that may be why I've spent more than two years of my professional life unemployed.

12/21/2007 12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And so the cycle begins again... I'm not promoting mediocrity, especially to an individual whose 'respectably-sized' head is, in many people's opinion, far larger than normal. Try to keep things in perspective. Your car most likely operates fine well above the posted speed limit in your area, but you don't drive more than it. Working at a pace faster than your around you will likely not gain you anything. If anything, now they've identified who can accommodate when others are too lazy.

The Circle of Life

12/21/2007 5:18 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Damned if you do, damned if you don't---I think you made the right choice. The high road is such a nice place.

12/21/2007 6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home