1.17.2007

PBW: Gray Day by the Pond

8:53 AM: When I got home last night, the green "DSL" light on my modem was blinking and I was unable to connect to the internet. My ISP hotline had a recorded message saying that people in my area and one other region were experiencing difficulty and that their engineers were aware of and working on the problem.

We here at the Nexus apologize for any inconvenience, and hope to put today's post up when I get home tonight after 8PM EST. Thank you in advance for your patience.

----------------------------------------------------------


UPDATE: I'M BACK, BABY! We now join our regularly scheduled post, already in progress:

....to thank everyone for their patience, and apologize for the delay in this week's Photo Blog Wednesday. Loss of my internet connection yesterday reminded me once again how little I can do without it. My photos are all on my harddrive, so I couldn't e-mail them to work to post. In hindsight, I suppose I could have burned a CD, but I definitely wouldn't have had time during the work day to upload and post anyway, not that that's something I'm supposed be doing at work in the first place. I called my service provider a few times and a recorded message told me that people in my area and another one were experiencing connection problems. It's been very frustrating. On the plus side, I did finally get back to my Fantastic Four game after near two years, and I’ve almost beaten it. The next time I have unplanned free time, I should get to finish it.

This week's photos come to us from last year. A few days before I concluded 2006 with a journey to a plane and a lighthouse, I ventured to a local park, pond, and nearby clock tower. Even on a gray day, I found some interesting subjects. Regretfully, as I neared the clocktower, I missed the best subject of all. A UPS truck, not quite able to complete a sharp right turn, started to slowly back up. Behind him, an old man in a pickup truck was frantically yelling at the top of his lungs. “Daaaaamn you! You're breaking the laaaw! You son of a *****! You M***********!!!” He even climbed half out of his truck, which to me, wasn't the right move. In his place, I would have backed up to avoid being hit, and give the truck driver room to correct his angle. If there were other cars behind me, I would have put on my blinkers to let them know. There were many solutions to the situation, but cursing, yelling, and getting out of his vehicle probably weren't among them. The truck driver managed to complete his turn, and the irate old man zipped onward. I remained on the sidewalk until I was absolutely sure it was safe to cross. It wasn't until much later, when I was driving home, that it dawned on me that I should have filmed the whole scene. So taken in by it, I completely forgot the camera around my neck. I just lack a journalistic instinct I guess, and it was a missed opportunity.

Anyway, you've all waited long enough, so here are this week's photos:













Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger RC said...

you should write an ode to technology and the way that it craetes great havok for MCF and the world who relies upon the musings found here.

1/17/2007 11:14 AM  
Blogger cube said...

We? there's more than one of you?

1/17/2007 12:41 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

More than one? Oh...well um, see the thing about that is...hey look everybody, Cube is really a female!

1/17/2007 5:58 PM  
Blogger Darrell said...

hey look everybody, Cube is really a female!

LOL

Alright, it's 6:30 PM and still no PBW. You're not the only one who schedules his life around your blog, you know. ;)

Seriously, good luck. I know how frustrating these tech problems can be. If there's one thing that makes me pull my hair out, it's tech problems that I can't explain.

1/17/2007 6:30 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

I love the way you can see beauty in things I'd just slog by with my camera in my pocket---waiting for some cute kid or a big accident...

1/17/2007 10:08 PM  
Blogger Darrell said...

Good pics, worth the wait. I've just realized that you wrote that you'd post them after 8, not after 6. Doh.

1/17/2007 10:39 PM  
Blogger Darrell said...

I've jsut realized that I accidentally posted that last comment under the profile I'm using for a new blog I'm playing with. So much for keeping it low key. And I can't delete it and try again. Anyway, uh, carry on. Cube's a girl!

1/17/2007 10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home