5.14.2005

Simple as Do, Re, Mi...

Does anyone want to read another post about mowing the lawn? I hope not, because I don't feel like writing one. It's too hot. I miss the Winter. Actually, I wouldn't go that far yet but in a month or two I really will be swimming mad laps in the irony pool. For tonight though, I'm just going to participate in the alphabet meme I saw over at Curt's. For each letter I will type it in to my browser, and see what comes up first from my history and/or favorites. Here goes:

A: American College for the Advancement of Medicine is something I bookmarked a while back when my dad was looking for a doctor to treat his clogged arteries using chelation, a treatment not widely accepted by doctors who'd prefer to make money on surgery. Twelve years ago after three unsuccessful/botched angioplasties, a cardiologist told my dad he might as well sit in a chair and wait to die if he didn't have bypass surgery. Between that bedside manner, the lack of success in the hospital, and the fact that they burned him with a laser on the third procedure, my dad turned to alternative medicine and today is still going strong at 75.

B: Ben's World of Transformers is what the acronym now stands for since he covers so many shows and toylines now, but back when I first bookmarked it about six or seven years ago, the site was dedicated specifically to Beast Wars Transformers. If my geekhood is a revelation at this point, I'm not sure what you think you've been reading on this blog.

C: CNN is in my history because I was looking for information Thursday night about a huge bridge fire in new Jersey I'd seen on the news. I found nothing, and a search just now found this from yesterday, reporting it a day late and lumping it in with the other major problem New York faced, a wall collapse. Way to take New York seriously, CNN.

D: I don't know why I have this Mad Libs-style Big Brother tale in my favorites. Sometimes when I use the “apple+F” short cut to look for text on a page my stubby digits hit the “apple+d” shortcut instead, which bookmarks. I didn't even remember this thing until I got through all the annoying java prompts, which no longer show any words in this version of IE.

E: The Easter Egg Archive is bookmarked because, as a geek, I don't fully enjoy a DVD or game until I've found all the hidden extras.

F: Font Reserve is bookmarked because I must have considered getting it at home at some point. I do more surfing than designing at home, usually burned out from designing all day, so I've yet to need proper font management software on this machine. I should get it at some point though.

G: I don't see how anything other than Google™ was going to come up for this letter. I don't even have it bookmarked, but a day doesn't go by that I'm not looking up SOMETHING. My blog may be my browser's start-up page, but Google™ is my starting point to EVERYWHERE.

H: Wow, Hash is another site I'd bookmarked and forgotten about. This is some really cool 3D animation software. I'd love to get in to this kind of stuff someday.

I: IMDB is there because I'm constantly looking up who was in what, what movie was connected to what, what else I've seen someone in, and the names of all the ”Hey it's that guy”'s out there. Someday I'll be a bigger film geek than Wendy and Darrell combined.

J: My parents live to do the Jumble, and it helps that I found this site to unscramble words when they get stumped. It definitely cuts down on my dad asking “Is there such a word as ______?” when he can't find it in their old dictionary. Occasionally he uses the new one I bought them a few years ago, but it throws him that suffixes are buried within the definitions of the root words.

K: Interesting. The first thing IE gives me for this letter is a page about Kofi, a humanoid equine alien comic book character. Seriously, no one is going to be revoking my geek ID card after this column.

L: The Lp(a) Referral List has something to do with heart disease doctors, so I guess it's something else I saved when doing a search to help my dad.

M: I have the MTA bookmarked to keep track of train schedules and fares, since it's insane to drive in to Manhattan.

N: Newegg is a great place to buy computer equipment at good prices. I picked up some ethernet cables from them a few years ago, and I guess saved the link.

O: I had to check to figure out where Oracle came from. Apparently its just one of the software company bookmarks that come with my browser.

P: Um...this Par site also came with the browser...really...(WHY do I have this bookmarked?!)

Q: Query the Ripe Whois Database was something I bookmarked back in my message board administrating days to find out more about trolls and spammers that messed with my RPG. It also comes up because surprisingly, up until just now, I didn't have The Quantum Zone saved.

R: I haven't really used or updated my Real Player in a while but I do have the site bookmarked. These days most movies on the internet are Quicktime or Windows Media Player format.

S: I was just writing about Star Trek last night.

T: I like to read long, detailed, and humorous synopses of my favorite shows, which is where Television Without Pity comes in.

U: I've never used it, but apparently I bookmarked this Ultimate Mac site, which seems to have a lot of useful links. Cool....

V: Voy was one of the two message board systems on which I participated in an interactive fanfic RPG(Boardhost being the other).

W: ”Welcome to Discussion Forums”. This is the message board section of an online game I play.

X: Xerox is another link that came with the browser, otherwise something far cooler like this saved X-Entertainment article would have come up.

Y: Yo Joe! offers an extensive look at not only the cartoons and toys I enjoyed in the 80s, but their predecessors and successors.

Z: Finally, I have saved a link to a walkthrough for the game Zork Nemesis because sometimes, I just get stuck at certain points in these games.

6 Comments:

Blogger Darrell said...

I just want to say that we went down almost every name in the "Hey it's that guy" list before we got to an actor that made Wendy say "Hey, it's that guy!" The actor was Dan Hedaya. She did know who Jim Broadbent was, so he doesn't really qualify since she's already kind of a fan. I do want to point out, though, that being a Jim Broadbent fan is the film-geekiest thing in the world. :)

5/14/2005 11:45 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

Of course I don't mind; memes are supposed to spread by defintion.

Up until Alien 4, Dan Hedaya was Nick Tortelli to me. After that, I made a point of remembering his name. I think that site needs updating though. Terry O'Quinn and Victor Garber are definitely more well-known now, although when O'Quinn was on Alias I was like hey it's that guy from the X-files movie and Harsh Realm, and when he was first on Lost he was "Hey it's Kendall from Alias."

I think of the HITGs that I knew, Luis Guzman was the one I'd watched for the longest before learning his name, and I constantly forgot his name. His face was just so much more memorable.

5/15/2005 9:57 AM  
Blogger Darrell said...

Does anyone else feel that we've started using the comments at various blogs for REEEEEEEALLLY SSSLLLLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW IM'ing?

5/15/2005 11:29 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

Feels more like a message board to me than IMMing, but yeah, we do go off on tangents.

Anyway, thoughts on the new banner? :) I have one "yea" from FawnDoo and one reaction of surprise(positive or negative?) from Wendy.

5/15/2005 11:46 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

I can't even think about Television Without Pity without grinning---it's so much more clever than television and so acerbic and funny. In my next life, I'm going to be the writer for the TWP version of Six Feet Under. Just when you thought it couldn't get any better....

5/16/2005 11:09 PM  
Blogger Darrell said...

I'm pro-new-banner. I like it when bloggers customize the blogger templates, make them their own.

5/16/2005 11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home