5.02.2005

Dear Mr. Liefeld,

I remember better times, a time when your energetic linework and style breathed new life into a book called The New Mutants. It was fresh and new and sensational. The tone of that series changed when you cocreated the man named Cable. That series spun off into X-force, and things began to change. After a while, the new and innovative costumes soon became formulaic. Stripes down the sides of pants connecting to the shirt, coupled with a belt with a lot of unused unnecessary pouches became your signature. Along with other great artists in the ‘90s, you left Marvel and co-founded Image comics. You starred in a jeans commercial with Spike Lee, showing off a portrait of him with a camera mounted on his cap to “catch the wrong-doings of others.” Perhaps it should have been aimed at your anatomy.

It was around this period of my life that I was in college, surrounded by peers studying art. It was at this time that I realized how much learning to draw from comic books had harmed my artistic development. At first people started pointing out things in your artwork, like arms that were too short or legs that were twice the length of a character's form. I began noticing these problems on my own, as well as many impossible poses. Comics bend reality to a degree, and better artists managed to stretch the laws of anatomy without breaking their characters in half. Your poses looked uncomfortable. Your backgrounds soon became replaced with speedlines, and the hatching on characters' faces became so out-of-control that everyone seemed to be scarred. You were very successful despite all these flaws, and inspired many imitators, and it was rare that any of them grew and exceeded you. Most faded into obscurity. But not you.

I graduated college and stopped collecting comics around the time you were ruining many of my favorite characters. I haven't kept up much with the comic industry, and I compromised my own dreams to pursue a more “stable” career working in an office in a graphic design capacity. I shouldn't criticize. You've done more than I ever will, and while I can see so much that's wrong in your work, if I can't/won't do better, what ground do I have to stand on? Yet, as a fan, when I read this Newsarama announcement about the Teen Titans earlier this evening, it brought back a lot of these memories. In over a decade, nothing has changed? The same disproportions, the same funky anatomy, the same overdone hatching, the same lack of backgrounds? In the interview, you do allude to listening to fan criticism, so that's a good sign. I think about those early New Mutants, and the potential that was there. I think about your style and the life you breathed into those characters. Most of all, I wonder what if? What if Rob Liefeld drew realistic poses, correct or at least less-distorted anatomy, and actual backgrounds?

In such a parallel reality, you'd probably be one of the greatest comic book artists of all time.

sincerely,
a fan from the early ‘90s

6 Comments:

Blogger avRAGEjoe said...

You know, I was thinking of posting something like this in the next few days, but you've said it better than I could and in a much nicer way.

I wish Rob would just stop.

5/03/2005 5:43 AM  
Blogger Jerry Novick said...

I'm going to jump in here and defend Rob. Actually, after seeing the Titans stuff and reading him being slammed on Newsarama, I went to Rob's site and posted a note, basically telling him that I had an erroneous personal/professional beef against him years ago (unknown to him) and wishing him good fortune now. He even jotted back a short note of thanks.

I'm tired of people slamming people. Yes, we are entitled to our opinions, especially when it comes to art, movies, writing and so forth. But do we have to run a guy down so hard? He's made genuine efforts to clean up his reputation and work on his art, and it can't be denied that he has a lot of fans and moves a lot of books.

Yes, Rob's work is highly stylized, and yes, he takes dramatic liberties with anatomy and yes, his backgrounds are sparse (but by no means the sparsest we've seen from other artists like John Byrne -- and in fact, the speedlines background that Rob changed to years ago was at the forefront of bringing the manga-style of art to the U.S.; why is he slammed for it when manga is now all the rage?). But can we at least give the guy some props for being at least at one point at the top of the biz?

Though I must say, as far as slams go, MCF's is at least very well written and not dripping with venom like so many others I've read.

5/03/2005 9:01 AM  
Blogger avRAGEjoe said...

My other beef with Liefeld is that he can't keep a deadline and he reuses art pages over and over, just redressed by changing the character apperances. I'm amazed that he actually got out six monthly issues of the latest X-Factor, although i suspect Marvel made him turn in all six issues before it gor solicited, which hopefully is the case with DC and Titans. Eric Larsen is about the only Image founder that has shown continual professional and personal integrity and he's actually the artist I like the least of the original founders. Larsen is the only one that has really shown true original creativity as well. I know this is all purely opinion, too.

5/03/2005 9:59 AM  
Blogger Jerry Novick said...

Deadlines? Come on -- there are lots of artists on monthly series who blow deadlines: Jim Lee, Bryan Hitch just to name two. I'm not making an excuse here, I'm just saying if we're going to hang the "late" tag on one guy, we have to lay it on all of them.

5/03/2005 12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please don't call what I wrote a slam. I was stating what I liked about the guy's work and what I don't like, and it was more of a heartfelt plea since I feel that artists should constantly strive to improve. Interesting that you cite Byrne as an example. Time was, he was among my favorite artists, and he used to draw the most detailed backgrounds I've ever seen. Byrne over the years has simplified and gotten more unfinished looking.

Liefeld could have been better, is what I'm saying. Look at Jim Lee, at Travis Charest, Marc Silvestri. As far as "liberties" with anatomy, it's one thing for MacFarlane to have Spider-man bend in poses that no human being short of a contortionist could get into. Having a character have superhuman proportions like the Hulk is a must for superhero comics. But Liefeld does things that are unrefutably WRONG. Look on that Heroes Reborn page and you'll find a Captain America where his head is a shifted too far to one side and his neck is basically coming out of his shoulder. I have no problem with exagerration and stylization, but stuff like that is important.

I noted that he's made efforts to improve. The Titans anatomy doesn't have any glaring anatomical mistakes other than proportions, but I do agree that they all look older than the characters are. He does lack the range to draw different age characters and normal people. An artist needs to be able to show that contrast. For example, I can draw a decent Spider-man but I could never draw a consistent Peter Parker.

There's slamming and then there's constructive criticism, and both are actually important to an artist's development, believe it or not. I made some of my biggest leaps in college based on things my peers made fun of; I took "slams" as challenges to do better next time. You become an artist for people's reactions, good or bad. The good ones feed your ego and the bad ones push you to do better next time and make the people with bad reactions react positively.

The deadline thing isn't an issue with me, since I only pick up the occasional trade anyway. I hated fill-in issues when I was a kid; I couldn't imagine an Ultimates trade where 22 pages were drawn by someone sub-par.

The problem with Rob is he HAS stopped. Look at any other of the big artist's early stuff. MacFarlane's Hulk or G.I.Joe springs to mind. Greg Capullo's Quasar. I don't like to see an artist plateau when I can see they could be a lot better. That was my point.

5/03/2005 12:26 PM  
Blogger avRAGEjoe said...

Jerry, I'm only going to hit the dead horse one more time, promise! I was actually being sarcastic with the deadline comment as I know there are many artists who have it tough with the monthly grind. However, in Rob's case, I think he's up to two series and two-different self-started comics companies where the first issue or two have come out and the remaining issues on the series have never emerged. And this is going on around two years I think now. Sure, getting a month or two or even three behind here and there is understandable, but a couple of years? A bit much.

5/03/2005 2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home